Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in the USA

Options
  • 23-12-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey,

I was just wondering if many people have worked in the states after qualifying?? How have you got on if you have?

Basically I've just passed my faes and am finished my contract in October
    13. I'd like to go work in the states for a year if possible just to experience living there. So I'm just looking for experiences about this but am currently weighing up my options.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sixtythree

I work for one of the big four firms in the US. Easiest way to get over is to transfer from within an irish firm. It's tougher over here. Big hours and more competitive than what I left in Ireland. Have learnt a lot though so it is an experience that I'd highly recommend.

Who are you with in Ireland? Do they have offices in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cian twomey

im working with one of the big 4 in ireland at the moment, my contract is up next year and hopefully if i pass the faes would be looking at the same route as imthegaffer, just wondering how hard it was to get a transfer, any issues with visas and what the length of the contract is like

• Registered Users Posts: 16 imthegaffer!

Sixtythree wrote: »
    I work for one of the big four firms in the US. Easiest way to get over is to transfer from within an irish firm. It's tougher over here. Big hours and more competitive than what I left in Ireland. Have learnt a lot though so it is an experience that I'd highly recommend.

Who are you with in Ireland? Do they have offices in the US?

Thanks for getting back to me.

What area are you in? Audit? Tax?

I'm in one of the big 4 too so I'm aware of my options from that perspective. I was kind of looking for someone who moved over independently of an internal transfer if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sixtythree

Easiest way to get over is to transfer from your current office to a US office. This is generally easily done in audit or advisory but less so in tax. I currently work in audit.

The US office of any of the big 4 firms can apply for an L visa. This is much easier to obtain than a H1B visa but limits your work in the US to the big 4 firm.

In terms of moving over and getting a job in industry etc, the majority of employers will need you to have a US CPA qualification but you could always try your luck applying once you are qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 imthegaffer!

Sixtythree wrote: »
    Easiest way to get over is to transfer from your current office to a US office. This is generally easily done in audit or advisory but less so in tax. I currently work in audit.

The US office of any of the big 4 firms can apply for an L visa. This is much easier to obtain than a H1B visa but limits your work in the US to the big 4 firm.

In terms of moving over and getting a job in industry etc, the majority of employers will need you to have a US CPA qualification but you could always try your luck applying once you are qualified.

Thanks for that. Think I'll look into getting some form of transfer over so as it seems to be the way to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement