Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some Hip Hop

Options
  • 23-12-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

As the title says i'm looking for some hip hop recommendations, i don't really have any knowledge of the scene but i have been a massive fan of Roots Manuva for years. I also love Kool Keith's rapping on The Prodigy's Diesel Power so i bought Dr. Octagonecologyst (didn't enjoy it as much as i wanted to)

So basically i'm looking for stuff like the above, not commercial bitch/hoe/nigga stuff. Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Are you looking for UK, Irish or NA (or other) recommendations or anything?

Do you want to think, laugh, listen to the beats or just hear some good rapping?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Your best bet would be to go through the Track of the Day thread(s) and see if there is anything there you like. We should be able to let you know of any albums by something you find you like, or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Check out Emcee Jermaine. A superbly talented artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Are you looking for UK, Irish or NA (or other) recommendations or anything?

Do you want to think, laugh, listen to the beats or just hear some good rapping?

I don't really mind what country its from, if its good its good.

The reason i like Roots Manuva so much is a combination of the music and the rapping/lyrics, i guess i'm just curious is there more stuff out there like that.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Your best bet would be to go through the Track of the Day thread(s) and see if there is anything there you like. We should be able to let you know of any albums by something you find you like, or something similar.

Cheers i'll have a look through it.

• Advertisement

Have just been listening to some Chali Tuna, The Roots and Jurassic 5 stuff on youtube, which would be their best albums to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

1210m5g wrote: »
    Have just been listening to some Chali Tuna, The Roots and Jurassic 5 stuff on youtube, which would be their best albums to get?

Chali 2na: Fish Market is my favourite solo by him even though it's a mixtape but Fish Outta Water was decent too. Not a big fan of fim tbh.

The Roots: Honestly everything, can't go wrong. But for me their 3 best albums are Illadelph Halflife, Do You Want More and Game Theory.

Jurassic 5: Self titled and Quality Control are really good.

1210m5g wrote: »

Never heard of Chali Tuna, literally anything by the Roots and the same with J5. I would also like to add early Gym Class heroes stuff to that list and some Flobots stuff too as they all have great lyrics and play their own music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

A Tribe Called Quest & OutKast would be 2 more recommendations

weemcd wrote: »
    A Tribe Called Quest & OutKast would be 2 more recommendations

Just listening to some of their stuff now, its quality, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Kid Cudi Man On The Moon I

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

anything Wu Tang, group and solo work.

Rakim, Krs-One, Public Enemy, 2pac or Run-Dmc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

MD1990 wrote: »
    Kid Cudi Man On The Moon I
    One of my favourites but it's more alternative hip-hop than hip-hop, maybe the OP would like this however

I'm glad i'm on a Hip-Hop buzz tonight because i just spotted that Roots Manuva is playing at koko in march, i've never seen him live so i just bought a couple of tickets, result. Cheers for all the recommendations.

Never heard of Chali Tuna

I haven't listened to anything by Chali 2na. The only reason I know of him is because he was before Chamillionaire in the hip hop section of HMV for years.
    Flobots stuff too as they all have great lyrics and play their own music.

The Flobots are very good. Have their album. Had to delete it from my iPod but they're quite good.

Had to delete it from my iPod but they're quite good.

I have to ask why?

I have to ask why?

No space on it. I've had to delete a ridiculous amount of brilliant music over the last while. I really need to get a new one.

No space on it. I've had to delete a ridiculous amount of brilliant music over the last while. I really need to get a new one.

Oh right, fair enough. Thought there was some deeper meaning. I had to do that with my creative Zen, hard thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Talib Kweli, Mos Def and Common are three more you should get up on.
    Talib and Mos had a collab album which is one of my all time favourites, "Blackstar". Get it...

As for solo, Talib's Quality is ace.

Mos Def's Black On Both Sides is superb too. Here's one of my all time favourite tracks, which happens to feature Talib too. The second is classic too.

And Common has several really good albums much like The Roots. I'd advise you get Resurrection, Like Water For Chocolate and Be to get the difference in sound he has had throughout his career...

And I only saw the Kool Keith mention there, if you liked that album, try Deltron 3030...same producer and an even better rapper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

+1 on Mos Def and Talib Kweli, Thieves in the Night and Respiration are 2 of the greatest hip hop songs of all time imo

Really liking the Mos Def stuff, cheers.

Chali 2na was in J5, hmm ok. Never checked out their solo work.

Chali 2na was in J5, hmm ok. Never checked out their solo work.

Great interview here http://youtu.be/3nR08qrXB3w also listen to this http://youtu.be/xYCe9UFh1SI

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Enter the Wu Tang, Wu Tang Forever.

Return of the Boom Bap by KRS One is a masterpiece as is Doggystyle by Snoop Dogg.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dandynamo

Macklemore: The Hiest also listen to the otherside- Macklemore. I really rate his music. Good production and lyrically outstanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Theres a few to get you started, check out the albums they're from, all classics, i could keep going on, but i dont want to spam this post.

Also if your into Kool Keith but not his Dr Octagon try checking out Ultramagnetic MC's, it was the group he was in. This is my personal favourite Kool Keith/Ultramagnetic Mc's song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

also you like the prodigy, this is where Liam Howlett got the sample for smack my bitch up "Change my picture, smack my bitch up."

If you want any more, let me know, love talking hip hop!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

Thissongissick.com is a great website for hip-hop songs. I would recommend Macklemore,Logic and Chris Webby aswell though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

Evidence album cats and dogs is an excellent album to listen to
    as is any of Brother ali's stuff

Advertisement