Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Season GAA Weight Training

Options
  • 23-12-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm looking to imnprove strength and and posting to get some feedback on how i'm planning on doing it.

I'm a 25 Midfielder for a senior club. I weight 92KG.
    Bench Press: 85KG. Goal: 100KG.
    Squat: 100KG. Goal: 115KG.
    Pull ups maximum 4. Goal: 10.

I've done quite a bit of weight training in the past but with mixed results. I'd like to achieve these goals and think they would have a big impact on my performance. I have quite a weak lower back that is very prone to injury so i'm very wary of exercises that put too much stress on this. I'm thinking maybe a 6 week strength based programme 3 days per week.

Day 1:
    Front squat and press (5 X 8)
    Bench Press (5 X 10)
    Single leg squat (3 X 10)
    Wide grip pull ups (5 X max)
    Chin Ups (5 X max)
    Dips (5 X 10)

Day 2:
    Single leg deadlift (3 X 10)
    Incline bench press (5 X 10)
    Military press (5 X 10)
    Squat (5 X 10)
    Shoulder press (5 X 10)
    Inverted row (5 X 10)

Day 3:
    Bench press (5 X 10)
    Clean and press (5 X 5)
    Squats (5 X 10)
    Front squat and press (5 X 8)
    Pull ups (5 X max)
    Dips (5 X 10)

Core activities to be included at the end of each session. Focusing usually on a lifting tempo of eccentric: 4 seconds, pause: 1 second, concentric: 2 seconds.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

why three different programs?

I honestly think two would be enough

as for the organisation of the days in the gym, I think you be better served doing the exercises as mini circuits
    so have three exercises and do them one after the other without a break.
    it would be as good as a cardio workout
    and you really need to think about your push/pull seperation. so lower body push, then upper body pull, then upper body push

day 1
    so it'd be squat, chin up, bench (circuit 1) (try med ball push ups)
    (circuit 2) single leg deadlift, weighted! dips, dumbbell rows,

day 2
    deadlift (or raised deadlift), chin ups, bench
    lunge/curl/press, horizontal rows, weighted side lunge

the last thing most people need is lots of shoulder work

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Slimer9

Yeah you're right about how the days are organised and the push/pull seperation. Im not gonna go for the mini-circuits however, although I've trained like this before and liked it. Nice guy I would be looking to do at least 3 days per week, the reason being that I want to make these gains previously stated and I reckon that two days would be more suited to maintaining strength. Would you think there is any harm is working similar body parts on three days of the week, or would it be better to split body parts? i.e. Day 1-Arms and shoulders, Day 2- Chest and back, Day 3- Lower body.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Day 1 - Legs

Day 2 - Chest/Back

Day 3 - Arms

Muscle takes between 48 and 72 hours to recover.

what I meant was: have only two programs and go to the gym three times a week.

you could spend more time improving flexibility
    one recommendation I would make is: invest in a foam roller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    what I meant was: have only two programs and go to the gym three times a week.

you could spend more time improving flexibility
    one recommendation I would make is: invest in a foam roller.

I've seen lads use a wavin pipe... I kid you not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Once you get used to the foam roller you won't find it hard enough at all, I've used an old rolling pin on the calves before!

looder wrote: »
    I've seen lads use a wavin pipe... I kid you not.

you can do that
    however, the muscles will take 1-2 months to get used to any foam rolling due to the direct weight being applied to the muslce, so better to start off with a slightly soft surface.

invest in a good one, it will last you 10 years and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

For pullups and dips dont compromise on form for extra reps Powerful up and slower on way down. When you are repping slow stop and rest for next set At 92kg they will be tough but your numbers are achievable looking at yer general strength figures

For pullups and dips dont compromise on form for extra reps Powerful up and slower on way down. When you are repping slow stop and rest for next set At 92kg they will be tough but your numbers are achievable looking at yer general strength figures

chin ups would be better
    less stress on the shoulder, plus you can work the biceps too.

dips - once you get up to 8 bodyweight dips x 3 sets you should be looking to add weight. dip bars are far preferrable to bench dips (which again can cause stress on shoulders)

another thing I don't agree with is putting core work at the end of the session. you will be fatigued and so your form will suffer for static holds, plus you are less likely to do it as you will be tired and want to finish. Put the core work after a proper warm up

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭bener

I have quite a weak lower back that is very prone to injury so i'm very wary of exercises that put too much stress on this.

I suffered from lower back problems for a few years in my early 20's, went to physio and chiropractor and even tried acupuncture all to no avail. It had gotten so bad that I was having difficulty driving for any prolonged time and even standing in the one spot for more than a few minutes would cause me a great deal of discomfort. Due to this I gave up playing all sports and went from 80kg to 95kg within a year.
    I started doing a small bit of weight training to lose a few pounds as running wasn't really an option because of my back. However, once I discovered pull ups I found my back problem really improving and within a few months it had completely cleared up. Three years later and I still haven't had any lower back problems Your back problem might be different but I'd recommend putting a lot of effort into the pull ups to see if it helps.

• Advertisement

bener wrote: »
    I have quite a weak lower back that is very prone to injury so i'm very wary of exercises that put too much stress on this.

I suffered from lower back problems for a few years in my early 20's, went to physio and chiropractor and even tried acupuncture all to no avail. It had gotten so bad that I was having difficulty driving for any prolonged time and even standing in the one spot for more than a few minutes would cause me a great deal of discomfort. Due to this I gave up playing all sports and went from 80kg to 95kg within a year.
    I started doing a small bit of weight training to lose a few pounds as running wasn't really an option because of my back. However, once I discovered pull ups I found my back problem really improving and within a few months it had completely cleared up. Three years later and I still haven't had any lower back problems Your back problem might be different but I'd recommend putting a lot of effort into the pull ups to see if it helps.

everyone is different.

However, I would recommend going to a proper strength and conditioning coach (not a personal trainer) and get assessed and a proper program put in place that will improve your weak areas and get you moving properly

could be the best €60 you ever spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Slimer9

Bener that sounds very like mine but just a bit worse; yours is what mine may be like in a year or two without proper attention being paid to it. I find the foam rolling very good and would use it a lot at the end of the warm up. Well im gonna start now on Monday and this is what I'll be going for:

Day 1: Lower Body.

Day 2: Chest/Back.

Day 3: Arms/Shoulders.

Day 4: Key lifts (Bench Press, squat and press, clean and press, dead lift, pulls ups).

I know that 4 days may seem a bit much but I plan to go at this programme for 4 weeks, and after that to change to a 3 day a week programme focussing on power. Due to the weak back, technique will be a massive focus and I won't be sacrificing form to lift more. Also foam rolling, single lef deadlifts and pilate style leg raises will be used to build sstremgth in this area.

Supplements to be used: Creatine and mass gainer (post workout) and a slow releasing protein before bed. I'll also be playing a bit of soccer to keep the fitness ticking over before preseason.

This programme will only be used for 4 weeks, and after that it ill be a lot more sports specific.

Advertisement