Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colman's powdered mustard

Options
  • 23-12-2012 4:30pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get Colman's powdered mustard? Have tried Tesco, SuperValu and a local deli. A sales assistant in SuperValu thinks its not made anymore, but that can't be, surely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

They had plenty of tins of Colman's powder in my local Dunnes yesterday. If that's any good to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jones 19

anyone got info on proper mixing procedure for said mustard powder, with water, i remember someone mentioned to me about mixing it with a drop of milk, wha ?
    Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Haven't heard about milk being added before. Taken from their website:

To make up Colman’s Powder Mustard, to serve as a simple condiment with food, only cold water should be used. Mix with equal quantity of water and allow 10 minutes standing time to allow the full flavour to develop. The water acts as a catalyst that helps yield the essential oil of mustard which produces that unmistakable taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

jones 19 wrote: »
    anyone got info on proper mixing procedure for said mustard powder, with water, i remember someone mentioned to me about mixing it with a drop of milk, wha ?
    Jones
    milk was often used to make the mustard milder,you can also mix it with vinegar,[french mustard], it was also said colmans moto was ,it is not what you use its what you throw away that makes us money. [wise sayings according to getz]

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

I always get it in Dunnes, keep several tins of it on hand. Every time I roast a chicken, I dust mustard powder all over the skin of the chicken and then baste it several times during cooking. There is no hint of a mustard flavour by the time it's cooked but the skin is savoury and delicious and the pan residue makes gorgeous gravy. Nobody ever identifies mustard in the finished dish. I read this on a Colmans tin years ago and have been doing chicken this way ever since. I've even been known to scoop sneaky little spoons of that lovely pan residue during basting sessions, cook's priviledge IMHO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

It's also a great addition to homemade gravy and I always put a spoon of the powder in pork casserole as well. Yum.

Advertisement