Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer programming in ennis

Options
  • 23-12-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

hi folks,anyone know of somewhere in town where i could learn a computer programming language(c++)???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You could try Coder dojo. If LIT in ennis aren't doing any courses then your best bet is to go to limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭daludo

thanks for that.at first glance coder dojo looks more geared towards the younger generation but il give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

daludo wrote: »
    thanks for that.at first glance coder dojo looks more geared towards the younger generation but il give it a go

Yeah, I got that impression ...... from 6 year olds up ...... but up to what I could not find ...... 60 year olds? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I did a semester of c++ in a module of data structures and algorithms last term, found The New Boston tutorials very good.... i normally program in java so cant offer any more help, but worth a look http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=16

you should pick up this book also if you can :) written by the god father of c

:cool:

• Advertisement

thanks stuxnet,as a matter of interest,would you recommend a language to start off on before i tackle c++??taking into account im a total newbie:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I did computer programming in college and have had a passing interest down through the years, when I was in college I learnt very useful languages such as COBOL and Pascal.

If I was to recommend a language I guess I would suggest Basic, or visual Basic, mainly cause you will learn most of the programming basics that will be common with other languages but you'll also be able to use what you learn very quickly in Excel, in fact there's a Visual Basic editor in Excel to help you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

daludo wrote: »
    thanks stuxnet,as a matter of interest,would you recommend a language to start off on before i tackle c++??taking into account im a total newbie:)
    I bought a book and taught myself C++. That and Java are very commonly used languages. Clareman is right about starting off and building up but every course costs money so depending on your finances you might want to dive in at the deep end. My recommendation would be C++, if you intend to do it at all it may as well be sooner than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭frankston

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I bought a book and taught myself C++. That and Java are very commonly used languages. Clareman is right about starting off and building up but every course costs money so depending on your finances you might want to dive in at the deep end. My recommendation would be C++, if you intend to do it at all it may as well be sooner than later.

Have a look at python as an intro language . The udacity website has a nice intro course .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

If your teaching yourself, I guess the best first route to take, is you want to learn programming concepts more so before jumping into the deep end of a high level languages like c++ or java, alot of language are very similar, only the syntax differs,

so maybe Id recommend if your going it alone, VB, visual basic as already mentioned is a good place to start.

If you feel confident to jump in the deep end, go java, you'll need to download the java jre and jdk firstly, and you can beging to learn and compile your code in a very beginner friendly Ide like BlueJ, we used it in college first year, great for pointing out your errors etc

good luck :)

• Advertisement

thanks for the advice folks..onwards and upwards from here:)

Advertisement