Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour using my wifi?

Options
  • 23-12-2012 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭

Own an imac, bought in 2009

I have UPC internet and use wifi in the flat.
    I can see my other neighbours networks but they are are all locked of course.

My network is locked too, I have a WEP password.

Got a popup
    "Another device on the network is using your computers IP address (192.168.1.2)

I looked at my computers settings and it's 192.168.1.4

Does a neighbour have my password?
    How, I didn't give it to anyone :confused:

Forgive the noob questions, my technical knowledge isn't the best

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Have a look at the MAC addresses of each device on your AP, if possible.

If you can change your password and encryption to WPA/WPA2, do so as soon as possible. It is far too easy to crack WEP.

The web config address for that router is at http://192.168.1.1/ If it isn't, go to the address specified at the default gateway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

If it was me I'd have a bit if fun:

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html

But serious answer - WEP is rubbish. Use WPA2. And change your network name to "please stop stealing my wifi"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

happens to me the odd time at home, and i'm on WPA2, and i have close to 8 wifi devices in the house, I doubt your neighbour is stealing wifi, just a temp ip conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It could also be some service in the router itself too. Routers run software to check the time, and in the case of the UPC router, there maybe other stuff going on too to support the VoIP phone, I wouldn't be 100% certain.

You could disable the wifi entirely and see if those IP addresses cling on.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yeah, I get this sometimes and it's some strange IP conflict glitch thing as mentioned above, I haven't pinned it down yet. I know it's nobody else because I've whitelisted all my MAC addresses therefore no other computer can access the router but the ones I've whitelisted.

If you can post the type/name of router you have we can try and find a help file that can show you how to lock it down a bit better. Some things you could do are making the password better (as above), making the network name invisible, and blocking all MAC addresses bar the ones you own. Bear in mind that the whitelisting option is a bit of a pain when you have visitors wanting to use your wifi when they pop over..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Does a neighbour have my password?
    How, I didn't give it to anyone :confused:

Fine, I'll stop using it! If I knew you were going to start a thread on the internet about it I wouldn't have done it in the first place. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Gordon wrote: »
    . . . I know it's nobody else because I've whitelisted all my MAC addresses therefore no other computer can access the router but the ones I've whitelisted. . . .

Faking a MAC address is actually quite easy and is part of the arsenal of tools used by determined wifi crackers. Cracking a WEP Key can be done in less than 5 minutes.

Ken

Advertisement