Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Lion Bootable Drive

Options
  • 22-12-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi.

I've a mid 2012 non retina MBP that shipped with 10.8 Mountain Lion.

I'm looking to replace the HDD with a SSD, so I need to make a bootable USB drive.

I know how to create one normally by downloading the file from the App Store, but since I never bought it I can't download it with paying.

So I'm kinda stuck an don't know how to create the bootalbe drive.

If anyone knows how or knows a link to a good guide it would be very helpful.

Many thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Do you want do do a clean install?

If you boot the Mac with a fresh SSD in it, it will go into Internet Recovery mode and download 10.8 that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I had to do this yesterday to create a fusion drive on my new mini. This works a treat:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110831105634716

Keep an eye on the installer as it will try to restart automatically - you just need to copy the .dmg somewhere before it restarts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Very simple really. You need to download the Recovery Assistant from the Apple website. Have a 4GB USB stick ready to go. You plug in the USB and run the Rec Assistant. It then creates a bootable OS X USB for you. Since your on 10.8 now it will make a bootable version of 10.8. If you were on 10.7 it would make a bootable version of that. It takes your current OS and uses that, no need to download from the AppStore.

Here's the link to the recovery assistant: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Snegg

Thanks lads got it sorted with the Online Recovery

Advertisement