Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accents of Co. Wexford

Options
  • 22-12-2012 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Accents of Co. Wexford
    How many different accents are there in Co. Wexford?
    Do Rosslare people have a different accent than Gorey people?
    Do New Ross people have a different accent than Wexford Town people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Sound like a very interesting thesis you've bagged for yourself there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

God knows how many there are, but yes there are quite a few distinctive accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Well I can confirm that there is a New Ross accent , ( Don't have it though )

Its mainly used by the born and bred people , but not common at all

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

slightly off topic, bridgetown area used to have its own dialect dont know if there are any speakers of it left thou

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eliza1

Thats the Yola language you are referring to. It was spoken in the Fort and Bargy area of Wexford which is a large area of south Wexford. Next time you are heading to Rosslare Harbour stop in Kilrane at the junction where you turn off for St Helens. There is a stone monument there written in Yola (with an English translation) There was a study done in the area some years ago by one of the universities (cant remember which one) to document whatever remaining words were still in use and some elderly people who still had a knowledge of it were interviewed. Sadly it has died out completely now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

The New Ross accent is drastically different than a Wexford town one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

I swear there are different ones within the town itself, never mind the county.

Especially hate that Americanised Jedward D4 crap being spoken though. Next they will be calling Heineken a "Ken" and I for one will be emigrating :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 annelida

Interesting that there are several accents of Wexford town. Do you know if Castlebridge people sound much differently than Wexford town people?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

annelida wrote: »
    Interesting that there are several accents of Wexford town. Do you know if Castlebridge people sound much differently than Wexford town people?

I suppose it's just a matter of some people in the town having a stronger "townie" accent than others. Plus, the difference in phrases etc. can be massive.

I'd meet plenty of lads from New Ross or other surrounding areas and they often wouldn't have a notion what myself and other friends are on about.

Then again, I could have been talking shyte ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

That's 'desh'......blast from the past!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

That's 'desh'......blast from the past!

christ not heard that ter in a long while

For extreme deshness......'deadly desh'..

Whats the Castlebridge accent like?
    Is it similar to accents of places which are close to Castlebridge such as Curracloe or Wexford town?
    Are there any unique features of the Castlebridge accent?

Whats the Castlebridge accent like?
    Is it similar to accents of places which are close to Castlebridge such as Curracloe or Wexford town?
    Are there any unique features of the Castlebridge accent?

Why do you keep opening threads about the castlebridge accent???

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

Regarding mention to Yola above, I was within last few days reading an 1868 obituary which included the following passage of Yola - an address to Lord Mulgrave who visited South Wexford in 1836:-

"Maist be pleasant to th' Excellencie, wee vassales o' His Most Gracious Majesty, Wylyame es Vourthe, an ax wee verilie chote na coshe an loyale dwellers na Baronie Forthe crave na dickie luckie note t' uck netcher th' Excellencie, an na plaine garbe o' youre yole telke, wi vengem o' core t' gie oure nonce o' ye gradee whilke bee ee dighte wi yer name, and whilke we canna sei albeit o' governere statesman an alike. Yn ereha an al o' while yt beeth gleeson o' core th'ours eyen dwytheth apan ye vigere o' dickie souveraine Wylyame ee Vourthe unnere fose fatherlie sware eure dales be ee aprant, as avare ze trad diche lands yer name was ee Kent var ee vriene o' lwertie, an be fo brake ye nekares o' slaves."

(The text in the Freemans Journal was not entirely clear, so some spelling errors may be included!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

What's your accent like OP. Is it the same as the people who live two doors down or is it totally different? I really need to know the answer to this.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Mod Note.

annelida please stop opening new threads about accents of co wexford.

Why do you want me to stop opening new threads about accents in Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Eliza1 wrote: »
    Thats the Yola language you are referring to. It was spoken in the Fort and Bargy area of Wexford which is a large area of south Wexford. Next time you are heading to Rosslare Harbour stop in Kilrane at the junction where you turn off for St Helens. There is a stone monument there written in Yola (with an English translation) There was a study done in the area some years ago by one of the universities (cant remember which one) to document whatever remaining words were still in use and some elderly people who still had a knowledge of it were interviewed. Sadly it has died out completely now.

Wrong Paddy Berry from Drinagh is a fluent speaker in Yola. There is a documentry here about it http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/radio-documentary-yola-language-wexford.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

One thread is enough.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Starting threads on the same subject in 2 different forums and staring multiple threads in the same forum could be classed as Spamming which is not allowed on Boards.ie.

You started a main thread about accents in Co Wexford which you received replies to and instead of asking about Castle bridge accents in that existing thread you started up 2 separate threads about Castle bridge accents. There is no need to have multiple threads on the same subject open in the same forum. All multiple threads either on the same subject or bordering on the same subject will be merged into 1 that way other posters will only reply to the main thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭purplepanda

There's a paper on the history of languages in County Wexford here http://www.balleawriters.com/ballea/publications/michael_mernagh/History%20of%20Languages.pdf

The east coastal side of the southern Hook peninsula also seems to have connections to the Yola culture, similar historically.

Interesting article, thank you.

Interesting regarding the Yola language. Its a pity it became extinct.

Advertisement