Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forward set seat post

Options
  • 22-12-2012 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

got a bike fit today and he basically told me the bike isnt great for IM and he could do very little with it But said i need to change the seat post and stem.

So has anyone seen these around Dublin ?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Stems are easy to get and easy to change, not sure about seat posts.

Just curious, how comfortable has the bike been for you in the past on long rides?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

meh, comfortable enough. As i increased the mileage getting closer to Galway HIM my lower back was getting sore, but nothing too severe. Decided to get the bike fit because i'm doing Austria IM.

Think i might start keeping an eye out for a Triathlon bike now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Ceepo

miller82 wrote: »
    got a bike fit today and he basically told me the bike isnt great for IM and he could do very little with it But said i need to change the seat post and stem.

So has anyone seen these around Dublin ?

Apart from the Stem and Seat post, what was not very good about it ?

Ceepo wrote: »
    Apart from the Stem and Seat post, what was not very good about it ?

he said for triathlons the bike isn't good because of the geometry

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

All well and good but that's why I asked if it was comfy. You might find a few minor tweaks better than a major change esp to something like a tt bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

BS! I've seen all kinds of bikes at Tris and IMs alike. I did my full first season, including Kenmare lost sheep on a roadie with clip ons.

What bike have you got? (brand, size)
    What height are you? And are you long legs/short body or vice versa?
    How is your upper body flexibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Agree with mcos an oryx here,

Not any expert on bike fits, or Ironman for that matter,

But from what i do know is that you have to be comfortable on the bike, TT bike's are not always comfortable,
    I done IMAT this year and a fair % of bikes in transition were road bikes.
    When you make changes due to bike fit do it over a period of time, just to get used of the changes, Making big changes or a lot of changes at the one time can lead to it's own problems.
    Doing an Ironman is expensive, why make it more expensive that you have to.
    If you have a few euro extra to spend, go out a week earlier and get used to the weather, as temperature's hit 40c on the the day, that made for a fun time on the run :D

BS! I've seen all kinds of bikes at Tris and IMs alike. I did my full first season, including Kenmare lost sheep on a roadie with clip ons.

What bike have you got? (brand, size)
    What height are you? And are you long legs/short body or vice versa?
    How is your upper body flexibility?

Corratec Dolomiti 105. I can't remember if its a 58 or 61 (he said the size wasnt an issue)
    i'm 6ft 2". I think i remember the dude in Base2Race telling me before that my height is in my legs.
    not too sure really. I'm gonna say decent-ish

His main point was that on the road bike i will be using my legs, especially calves, more than i would on a TT bike, where i would be engaging the core more. He said i would be at a disadvantage and not able to reach my full potential (i realise that a lot of factors influence "full potential")
    And by the way, he doesnt sell bikes and wasnt trying to suggest any one bike shop or anything

Advertisement