Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new hard drive.

Options
  • 22-12-2012 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just wondering what's on the market now in terms of internal hard drives for my mac book pro. Suffered a hard drive failure there 2 weeks ago and need a new one. Need something 500 gigs and up. Have about 70 euro to spend.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Go the extra few quid and get a SSD, less chance of failures and very fast loading of programs. They're getting cheaper all the time and you should be able to get a 256GB unit for about 150 euro if you shop around.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Can't really double my budget. Sort of stuck around 70 euro and need a new one asap. Looking at the wd Scorpio black 750gb

On several occasions I've found it cheaper to buy an external drive+caddy than a standalone drive ! Simply remove the drive from the caddy which is usually a SATA device suitable for your laptop.

You don't mention which Macbook you have but be aware most require 9mm high drives as opposed to the normal 9.5mm. Doesn't sound like a lot but in my old Macbook Pro it caused the area above the drive to bulge up slightly. Recently replaced it with a 120GB Vertex 2 SSD which fitted fine.

That said all the usual warning lights are going off re storing and trusting that much data on a laptop. They're delicate by nature and prone to failure at any time. Remember to backup !!

Ken

With it being a laptop I don't think a caddy is the right approach. I have a mid-late 2010 MacBook pro 13". I was aware of the size issues.

No mention of a caddy !? If you buy an external drive you can take the bare drive from the enclosure and you'll find it's a bog standard SATA 2.5" hard disk that will fit in your Macbook! I've found that from some stores/manufacturers it's actually cheaper this way. The enclosure can then be used to install the replaced drive in in order to attempt recovery of your files should you need to!

Edit: apologies, I did mention caddy. But I meant the enclosure that the drive comes enclosed in which, of course, you will remove !

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Tea2

I've used a few drives over the years, but the most trouble-free for me (your mileage may vary!) was the Scorpio Black 750GB, which I've had in my Macbook Pro for the last 18 months, great drive, highly recommend it if you can get one. I've used the 500GB Scorpio Blue, fine as well.

Tea2 wrote: »
    I've used a few drives over the years, but the most trouble-free for me (your mileage may vary!) was the Scorpio Black 750GB, which I've had in my Macbook Pro for the last 18 months, great drive, highly recommend it if you can get one. I've used the 500GB Scorpio Blue, fine as well.
    Yeah, lookin at it here http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2144546

Advertisement