Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist Irish Politicians?

Options
  • 21-12-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I need a little help. I'm not too hot on anthropology research, but I'm looking for Irish politicians or anthropologists (preferably nationalist/home rule) in the nineteenth century/ early twentieth century who may have attempted to create/re-inforce social and/or racial hierarchies. I'm thinking of suggestions that Arthur Griffith viewed the Irish as 'white ****', but ideally I would like something that reverses the binary constituted by articles in Punch, for instance. So anything that, instead of viewing the Irish as simianised and Other, attempted to view the British colonial power in similar terms.

Very grateful for your help,
    Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

Can't help but these books would be a good starting point:

Bruce Nelson - Irish Nationalists and the Making of the Irish Race (2012)

Noel Ignatiev - How the Irish Became White (1995)

Advertisement