Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US DVD players and Region 2

Options
  • 20-12-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

So, we bought a DVD box set of Father Ted to send to an elderly relative in the US. We didn't think about regions until after we bought it, and we now find the DVD set says Region 2.

Are we right in thinking our US relative will probably not be able to play it over there? We can't do things like asking our relative to do any sort of techie workaround.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Louche Lad wrote: »
    So, we bought a DVD box set of Father Ted to send to an elderly relative in the US. We didn't think about regions until after we bought it, and we now find the DVD set says Region 2.

Are we right in thinking our US relative will probably not be able to play it over there? We can't do things like asking our relative to do any sort of techie workaround.

Region hacking is very easy (even for non-techies). It normally involves pressing a set sequence of numbers on the DVD player's remote. You'll need the make and model number of the DVD player and with that you'll be able to get the unlocking code off the Internet.

So easy my dad could do it (and he's 66).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Region hacking is very easy (even for non-techies). It normally involves pressing a set sequence of numbers on the DVD player's remote. You'll need the make and model number of the DVD player and with that you'll be able to get the unlocking code off the Internet.

So easy my dad could do it (and he's 66).

No, no, no. No. It's not very easy. But thank you anyway — I think you meant well. Perhaps I should also have stated "pointyheads need not respond".:)

Discovering the model number would be very stressful and difficult for an 80-year-old (because, no doubt, her DVD player woud be festooned with all sorts of identifying strings of letters and numbers. And having eventually ascertained the model number, getting our relative to input the required unlocking code would be equally stressful and difficult. And all of this would have to be done via snail mail (email and text messages would be out of the question, and phone calls would be awkward given the time difference and transcription problems).

Anyway, I've found I can order a Region 1 box set from Amazon that I can have sent direct.

Advertisement