Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

141 v 201 Pulling power

Options
  • 20-12-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭

So I've been setting up a couple of my trains for the open nights in the local club, which has some reasonable gradients around certain parts. Thought I'd stick 220, a new version MM 201, on the front of 6 cravens and a luggage van for a good length train.

However the thing struggles badly on even the slightest incline and fails completely to make it over the steepest part of the layout. Thought I'd give 165 a go and sure enough with the same load absolutely no problem on any of the hills, easily out performing the 201.

Why do the 141 have such a better haulage capacity than the 201s? 201 are heavier, same number of driven axles (most of the time, the build quality is much poorer and one of mine only has 3 powered axles)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Whizzzz

Very topical post for me !. I'm putting the finishing touches to a small dual level track layout for my Godson for Christmas. I only have 149cm x 113cm to play with and he only has a basic Hornby 00 gauge starter kit / track (oval with some extra bits) so I'd presumed there was no way I'd have enough length in the layout to be able to raise a track from the lower level to the upper level ?
    My small bit of research suggested you need to keep it at less than about 1 in 25 of an incline, so I presumed there was no point in even trying to work something out.
    Would you agree ?
    Do you have any other suggestions on how I could join the two levels in some way rather than having two totally isolated runs ?
    Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

nothing to do with my post tbh but:

run a helix to join the levels and gradients should be at most 3-4%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I don’t know about the haulage capacity, I don’t have anything set up that I can test them on but I agree with you on the build quality. I have 4 x 141 and 2 x 201. Both of my 201s developed faults. One I fixed and one had to be sent back for warranty repairs. I never had any problems with my 141s. I haven’t run in my 071 so I don’t know what that is like yet.

Advertisement