Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman PRICE WARNING

Options
  • 20-12-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Just to warn anyone doing shopping in Harveynorman this weekend.

I was out there in Swords an hour ago and bought a laptop, was told i was getting the best price bladey blah...got him down a bit too.

So i come home with laptop and surprise , its 30 EURO CHEAPER on their website, to be honest more than one of the laptops are cheaper on the website???

Fair enough, they have said they will refund the difference but its not the point. Its just a case of 'hope the shoppers are busy and wont notice'.

You have been warned.... i would also check their site for prices on tv's etc before buying in store just to be sure....

NOT COOL AT ALL. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Same thing happened to me last January . Went in to buy a laptop it was 40 euro more expensive in store. I said it to the guy selling it to me and they deducted the 40 euro. I have told anyone thats buying a laptop there since to check online first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

italodisco wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Just to warn anyone doing shopping in Harveynorman this weekend.

I was out there in Swords an hour ago and bought a laptop, was told i was getting the best price bladey blah...got him down a bit too.

So i come home with laptop and surprise , its 30 EURO CHEAPER on their website, to be honest more than one of the laptops are cheaper on the website???

Fair enough, they have said they will refund the difference but its not the point. Its just a case of 'hope the shoppers are busy and wont notice'.

You have been warned.... i would also check their site for prices on tv's etc before buying in store just to be sure....

NOT COOL AT ALL. :mad:

i would never buy anything in harvey normans, if you look around you will always get the same product cheaper somewhere else and that's a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

And their ads are shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

powercity are usually cheaper online too, but are open about it, not sure if HN are. Powercity call it a online discount or something, I think it is the aim to free up salemen and not give them commission.

If you go into powercity I think they will always match the online price, they have for me, and others reported it before. I know a guy who got them to match the online price AND got some freebie thrown in for a laptop, think it was a bag or a wireless mouse or cable -something small, but worth bearing in mind. Since if you order online it would be harder to try and get a freebie, when they know its already booked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Last year i went to buy a couch and a table at one of their "sales". I had been looking at the two items for over two months. When i went in on "sale day" the couch was €300 dearer amd the table was €400 dearer.

When questioned it was brushed off as if i was an idiot....even though i had already put a deposit on the couch at the cheaper price a month earlier.

Dodgy feckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

gustafo wrote: »
    i would never buy anything in harvey normans, if you look around you will always get the same product cheaper somewhere else and that's a fact.
    They don't want to/won't match an Irish B&M competitor either. Tried with a 42" TV before. They were €80 more expensive.

When I asked they just said "No".

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

I believe it is to encourage you to buy the item online, I know mobile phone retailers will usually have a 10-20 euro discount on most phone.

When you go in-store you are also paying for the sales assistant wages, you get the laptop straight away instead of waiting 7-14 working days for delivery. Also you are not paying for delivery.
    Also the Sales assistant is able to give you more support then you'd get online other then forums. He can make sure the laptop was the right product for you.

Some online stores also require you to send it back via post if there is a problem with the product, I think Vodafone or meteor use to do this.

Also remember its the sales guy job to sell the product, theres no way he can compete online and to his credit, could there be a chance that the laptop was the cheapest price in a physical shop?

Also you are supporting Irish jobs by buying in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I believe it is to encourage you to buy the item online, I know mobile phone retailers will usually have a 10-20 euro discount on most phone.

When you go in-store you are also paying for the sales assistant wages, you get the laptop straight away instead of waiting 7-14 working days for delivery. Also you are not paying for delivery.
    Also the Sales assistant is able to give you more support then you'd get online other then forums. He can make sure the laptop was the right product for you.

Some online stores also require you to send it back via post if there is a problem with the product, I think Vodafone or meteor use to do this.

Also remember its the sales guy job to sell the product, theres no way he can compete online and to his credit, could there be a chance that the laptop was the cheapest price in a physical shop?

Also you are supporting Irish jobs by buying in store.

I have quoted online prices in store to Irish retailers most will try to match them.
    As I said to them rather give my money to you than somebody I don't know,hopefully Irish retailers will Cop on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They don't want to/won't match an Irish B&M competitor either. Tried with a 42" TV before. They were €80 more expensive.

When I asked they just said "No".

I've had them price match for me several times.

• Advertisement

was thre today all junk on sale along hundreds of iphone cases

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was just going to start a new thread about this shower but I'll just reply here,

Been in the market for a tv awhile but funds have been a bit tight, I got a sizable voucher as a present for christmas for HN.

So off I went in on the 26th to catch a bargain I hoped. Had a 32" Samsung I saw a few weeks ago in there for €349 so was hoping to pick it up for around €300. They had it marked €379 down from €450! This tv was never in a million years €450, its €319 on amazon and €349 in tesco. I tackled the saleman on this and he assured me it was heavily discounted from the 450 and was always 450, I said do you think I'm stupid there is also a sticker on the corner stating €399. Told me that sticker shouldnt be there it was from a cheaper model tv, it wasnt I knew the model myself. Declined to further engage with me and just said , "is there anything else I can help you with today sir?"

To makes matters worse this tv was €369 on there online store.

As I had a voucher I bought another Tv the only genuinely priced product I could find.

Can they get away with this? I for one will never darken there door again. I know how retail works but this is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

gustafo wrote: »

I've never bought in HN because of this. Always find that it's actually quite expensive. The one store that I went into seemed to be a bit dingy and cramped.
    Power City ftw, they've always been good value imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

rubadub wrote: »
    powercity are usually cheaper online too, but are open about it, not sure if HN are. Powercity call it a online discount or something, I think it is the aim to free up salemen and not give them commission.

If you go into powercity I think they will always match the online price, they have for me, and others reported it before. I know a guy who got them to match the online price AND got some freebie thrown in for a laptop, think it was a bag or a wireless mouse or cable -something small, but worth bearing in mind. Since if you order online it would be harder to try and get a freebie, when they know its already booked.

Same here, the last 4 things I bought from PC were cheaper on line and when I mentioned this they matched it

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭beaner88

Shop with your smart phone and know what you are buying.

Advertisement