Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't connect to the Internet - page not responding

Options
  • 20-12-2012 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My broadband provider is Three, I have a Huawei dongle device. The blue light is meant to signify a a 3 connection and a cyan light is meant to mean 3G. I have both lights on at different times.

For the last week I have not been able to connect to the Internet in either of the two laptops in the house even though my iPhone wih three has no connection problems.

The page just keeps loading and the swirly things just keeps going round and round and eventually a message appears saying such and such is not responding.

I uninstalled MS Security Essentials and it still didn't work and then I reinstalled it minus firewall as I thought that might be causing the problem but still no connection.

Three are giving the usual one liner of 'there is no problem in your area'.

Sometimes the likes of boards and Facebook will open on the homepage after about 10-15 minutes but then as soon as I go to clik a bottom on the page the page is not responding message appears and the page itself goes blank.

Anyone have any ideas, I'm paying for something I can't use and I need to be able to access the Internet.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It sounds like your problem is either an over-contended area or insufficient signal strength.

You need to be meticulous and systematic in testing this, and annotate your results. Make a note of the following things:
    1) Operating system(s) of all devices you are using with this connection.
    2) Make a note of times when the issue occurs and look for patterns (eg does it work late at night/early in the morning but not during the day?)
    3) When you are connected, check your network connection settings. From a command prompt, ping your gateway and record the results. Then do the same thing for boards.ie, and do a traceroute for boards.ie as well. Record the results.
    4) Test your connection in different parts of the house and outside at various times of day.
    5) Test your signal strength with other mobile/3G-enabled devices around the house at the same time and make a note.

All of this sounds tedious because it is tedious, but what you're trying to do here is show a consistent pattern of poor network quality on Three's part. If you do this, they will be hard pressed to argue that there's no problem because you will be providing evidence of the problem and your attempts to diagnose or resolve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Fysh wrote: »
    It sounds like your problem is either an over-contended area or insufficient signal strength.

You need to be meticulous and systematic in testing this, and annotate your results. Make a note of the following things:
    1) Operating system(s) of all devices you are using with this connection.
    2) Make a note of times when the issue occurs and look for patterns (eg does it work late at night/early in the morning but not during the day?)
    3) When you are connected, check your network connection settings. From a command prompt, ping your gateway and record the results. Then do the same thing for boards.ie, and do a traceroute for boards.ie as well. Record the results.
    4) Test your connection in different parts of the house and outside at various times of day.
    5) Test your signal strength with other mobile/3G-enabled devices around the house at the same time and make a note.

All of this sounds tedious because it is tedious, but what you're trying to do here is show a consistent pattern of poor network quality on Three's part. If you do this, they will be hard pressed to argue that there's no problem because you will be providing evidence of the problem and your attempts to diagnose or resolve it.

Thank you for taking the time to write this, I am finally back online after days of tedious trawling through to realise it was a download update on the 11th of Dec for Adobe Flash Player ActiveX that caused the problem. Of course I had practically every other progamme on my computer uninstalled aswell as reset my internet settings and losing all my toolbars etc before I found the culprit. Can't complain now though everything back up and running. Thanks again.

Advertisement