Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few mac problems

Options
  • 19-12-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have a late 2008 macbook running latest os with a crucial m4 ssd, last night i tried to restore my iphone and since then I have been seeing a lot of problems.

First the iphone backup on the mac was corrupt, got around that with icloud and then tried to sync my music and kept getting error "iTunes could not copy (song name) to the iPhone because the file could not be read or written"

From toady my mac is beach balling like crazy and the system keeps locking up.

I tried to do a backup of the mac hdd and after a few minutes of copying files I get error -36 this time.

All files open and play fine, but when I try and copy them to another hdd problems arise.

Could this be the ssd failing, or a os / hardware problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Open Disk Utility, check SMART status and verify your disk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

i have had this a few times with memory sticks especially when transfering
    large files, i suspect its the drive you are copying to. is it formatted for mac?

have a read of this it might solve your problem

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9699/~/mac-error-code-36-when-transferring-files

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mr. JoeCool

Ran disk utility earlier and shows smart status as verified and ok.
    External hdds are formated for mac.

Downloaded smart utility and is showing the ssd as failing:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Check the firmware version on the M4. Some of the earlier firmwares had issues on the Mac. I think 010G is the one to go for. There's I'd s big thread about it on Cruciald website.

What's the current firmware if 010G is early? I'm got 000F on my 512GB M4 and that was only released 6 months ago! Edit: Looks like they don't increment by 1 letter/number each time. 000F is before 010G and 040H is the latest.

No way am I going to upgrade my firmware myself, it's been running fine since early June!

• Advertisement

I forget what version mine is running. I checked it before the install and it was meant to be OK. It's only a month old and only got installed yesterday.

Once it's working ok and it's gotten over 5200 hours of running time I wouldn't be worried. There is a known issue where the drive dies after 5184 hours of use. Like I say, there is plenty of info on the Crucial forum.

Ah yeah, I remember that. Apparently when it happens, a reboot will buy you another hour and it happens again. 0309 is supposed to fix it so I'm okay, but I think you're on to something re: the OP's problem. Good spot!

It seems like every firmware version causes problems for at least one MBP model though. I'm running a 2011 15" model, you?

Yeah. It looks like they kept dropping the ball. The latest firmwares seem to be stable enough.

I treated myself to a quad i7 2.6Ghz mini. It arrived yesterday and before I even powered up I installed the M4 and 16Gb of RAM. Just got the Fusion Drive up and running and I'm blown away by the speed. It's replacing a 2007 Core2Duo and there is a serious difference in performance.

Actually, it's a good reminder to get Time Machine setup.

Advertisement