Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHL Arenas

Options
  • 19-12-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Well lads
    I'm doing a project in school on Northeast America (US) I was just wondering why in places like Madison Square Garden and TD Garden's capacity less when a NHL match is being played compared to something like a basketball match where the capacity is around 1000 seats more? Is because of the rink?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Basketball courts are smaller so there's extra room to put in more seats.

For some perspective:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

As Robby said, the court is smaller. I can tell you from personal experience that there is an extra block of seating, courtside, at NBA games in MSG. Those seats are removed for hockey games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

They hardly remove the ice every time there is an nba game on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

cena wrote: »

The ice is always there, they build the basketball court on top of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

cena wrote: »

Doesn't take too long to move it. Sometimes there are NBA games on in the afternoon and hockey on the same night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

robby^5 wrote: »
    The ice is always there, they build the basketball court on top of it.

From doing the tour in MSG, the only time they actually remove the ice is for the dog show (as it screws up the dogs if the ice is still underneath the surface apparently) and for long road-trips and the off-season.

Advertisement