Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no forum for Agnostics?

• 19-12-2012 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Just wondering why no forum for us. why lump us in with the Atheists, I find a lot of them just as insufferable as religious nuts.

( awaits the Atheist firestorm )....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

dd972 wrote: »
    Just wondering why no forum for us. why lump us in with the Atheists, I find a lot of them just as insufferable as religious nuts.

I don't know, and nobody can ever know for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The important thing is you've found a way to feel superior to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Akrasia wrote: »
    I don't know, and nobody can ever know for sure

prove it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Cause most atheists here are also agnostic and, as much as you probably don't like it, you are also an atheist by definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

* tumbleweed rolls by *

You're going to have to try a lot harder than that before we start biting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

why lump us in with the Atheists,

Because the vast vast majority of atheists are also agnostics and a lot of agnostics are atheists too. The two terms are far from mutually exclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Not only is there a forum for agnostics, there are in fact 21 of them, all under the top level group "Science"

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There's been a few of these forum requests of late. Pastafarians first. Now the agnostics.

Begs the question. Where's my forum? I mean, I think like a lot of people on here. I hold many of the same opinions. Not exactly the same of course, but broadly similar.

I want a forum for me. Just for me. Now! Dammit!

Mods, you don't even need to title it. Just give me the space and I'll take it from there.

I feel your pain OP. And what about the whole 'fantasy/sci-fi' thing in bookshops, while we're on the subject of lumping in? They're not even kind of the same thing. Although it does save me that tedious walking from one section to another time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Quiet op or the Jedies will want their own forum too

Sin City wrote: »
    Quiet op or the Jedies will want their own forum too
    Puts on grammar Nazi hat.....

The plural of Jedi is Jedi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

endacl wrote: »
    Puts on grammar Nazi hat.....

The plural of Jedi is Jedi.

Does his best Obi Wan voice waves hand in front a of endacl face and says

"Get a life"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

I agree with your above posts. I've tried to get an agnosticism forum once and I rowed in behind another agnostic who tried again some time later.

On each time we were shouted down by Atheists, last time some of them bizarrely tried to say that I (and other "Agnostics") were really just Atheists trying to be superior to other Atheists. Or something. :( WTF?

In short, each attempt to get an agnostic forum usually went down in a firestorm of "-1" posts from Atheists.
    Because the vast vast majority of atheists are also agnostics and a lot of agnostics are atheists too. The two terms are far from mutually exclusive.
    I really don't know why you Atheists want this to be an "Atheist and Agnostic" forum when its clear that some of you despise agnosticism and can be defined solely by Atheism.

Take your friend Richard Dawkins, who claims that agnosticism is "fence sitting, intellectual cowardice" ... do we really have that much in common?

Well SeanW, I see you haven't learned the proper definitions for atheism or agnosticism yet. Otherwise you would have ended your crusade by now.
    Atheism is a lack of belief in God(s), not knowledge of them not existing. This has been explained to you numerous times already and yet you persist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

What's the difference between God and Richard Dawkins?

God doesn't think he's Richard Dawkins :p

SeanW wrote: »
    In short, each attempt to get an agnostic forum usually went down in a firestorm of "-1" posts from Atheists.

The request for a new agnosticism forum is so frequently -1'd from site members, and members of this forum specifically, because there exists no need for such a forum. The suggestion for a separate agnosticism forum, distinct from the Atheism & Agnosticism forum, arises from a fundamental misunderstanding of agnosticism, atheism, and what both entail. A cursory read of, say, Wikipedia's articles on both atheism and agnosticism would clear up this confusion, but it seems some are quite content continuing to believe that atheism and agnosticism are mutually exclusive philosophies, each being points on some continuum of belief. This simply isn't the case. In any case, if you wish to discuss agnosticism as a philosophical position on absolute knowledge, which is essentially what it is, then you don't need your own forum: use the Philosophy forum.

Sin City wrote: »

Does his best Obi Wan voice waves hand in front a of endacl face and says

"Get a life"
    Does a passable Jar Jar voice....

'Meesa sorry. Meesa goes away now...'

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well SeanW, I see you haven't learned the proper definitions for atheism or agnosticism yet. Otherwise you would have ended your crusade by now.
    Atheism is a lack of belief in God(s), not knowledge of them not existing. This has been explained to you numerous times already and yet you persist.
    Don't tell me, tell other Atheists ... like Richard Dawkins, who seem to have a serious problem with "fence-sitters" like me.

Tell me this: if "Atheism" is simply a lack of belief in God(s) as you claim, what do you call people who have an active belief that "there is no God?" Positive Atheists? Super-duper atheists? Anti-theists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Just wondering why no forum for us. why lump us in with the Atheists

entertainment purposes

Don't tell me, tell other Atheists

I only tend to tell people, like yourself, who come to the forum and make the common mistake in claiming that atheism and agnosticism are mutually exclusive.
    SeanW wrote:
    ... like Richard Dawkins, who seem to have a serious problem with "fence-sitters" like me.

Maybe you should follow your own advice and take it up with him yourself? Richard Dawkins speaks for nobody but himself really. He aint the boss of me or anybody else on this forum. Why people seem to have this notion that we all follow everything Dawkins says is beyond me. Half teh regulars here don't even like the guy.
    SeanW wrote:
    Tell me this: if "Atheism" is simply a lack of belief in God(s) as you claim,

It is. This information is not some well hidden secret. It's very easy to look up.
    SeanW wrote:
    what do you call people who have an active belief that "there is no God?" Positive Atheists? Super-duper atheists? Anti-theists?

If you want to get really pedantic (I find it strange that you would on this very specific subject, considering how you don't seem to want to know what atheism and agnosticism really are) I suppose you could call them atheistic ant-theists or something. Not that you will find many such people.

:rolleyes: see

john47832 wrote: »

Next time...
    firestorm_logo1.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I really think this image needs to be stickied

atheism-agnosticism.png

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

The best way for this discussion to continue is for you to define what you mean by "atheist" and what you mean by "agnostic".

I imagine the OP feels that the label "Atheist" applies to people who believe the negative, i.e. hold a view that there is no God. As opposed to simply lacking a belief. This belief is actually not uncommon and I respect it even though I disagree with it.

And agnostics' position is guided by the lack of knowledge. It can be crudely defined as "sitting on the fence" where the holder of this position has taken the view that sitting smack in the middle of "the fence" between "there is no God" and "maybe there's something out there" is the only logic position to hold. As I have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

( awaits the agnostic atheist firestorm )....;)
    I agree with your above posts. I've tried to get an agnosticism forum once and I rowed in behind another agnostic who tried again some time later.

On each time we were shouted down by agnostic atheists... (...)... ?

FYP's.

===========

There is a forum for agnostics, yis are posting in it lads. The majority of agnostics such as myself and everyone that posted in reply to the thread so far (as far as I am aware) that tend to post in the forum have no problem with the forum being 'agnostic and atheism', it's really only a very small handful of agnostics like yourselves that seem to have a problem. To be honest a 'specifically agnostic in nature and no mention of anything of interest to atheism' forum would be a tiny little niche ghost town with 4 or 5 of yis sharing one or two silly little ignorant 'I find atheists as annoying as religious evangelicals' threads.

Seriously, the requirement or support for such a forum is so miniscule it's ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

john47832 wrote: »

You think that was a firestorm? Stay away from bingo nights for the elderly so.

Sarky wrote: »

Mild entertainment pal, all we need now is a Christian...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sarky wrote: »

Or jumble sales.

They scare the bejayzus out of me. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

we could call it 'Atheism-'