Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Card

Options
  • 19-12-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I recently built a new machine for audio purposes. I work as a hardware technician so was pretty straight forward. One thing Ive never paid too much attention to though was graphics cards. The thing is I got some games with my bundle from OcUK and I wanna load them up and give them a go. I have acquired 3 different graphics cards so not sure which one is the best. Ive done my research on them all and cross referenced the results. Some features are better than others. Perhaps someone can advise me which one is best overall?

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Jayball09

Anybody?

Just in case youre worried about opening the attached file heres a snapshot of the cross referenced specs:

http://www.fotoshack.us/fotos/17046graphicscards.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Em, a hardware tech should know they're all ancient cards. Modern games won't run on them.

Thanks for the informative response... yeh right!

First off as I mentioned my job doesnt require the need to know about graphics cards. If theres a problem with the card it goes back to the manufacturer but I shouldnt have to explain my job to you.

Second of all as I said I acquired the cards. I didnt buy them so Im well aware theyre old.

Thirdly of all Saints Row 3 runs fine of the N210. On low settings granted but it runs fine. "Modern games won't run on them" - lies make baby Jesus cry!

Im not a gamer. I just wanted a little help in understanding the different specs in graphics cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tecnically bf3 will run on an 8400, at 800x600 And minimum settings. When we talk about what will run its based on 30+ fps at mid to low settings(usually at 1080p). These cards pretty much won't do that.

Gddr5 is the current gen, wouldn't use anything slower than 4. The bigger the total res, the more memory you need.

Otherwise, use benchmarks, specs don't mean nearly as much.

Lastly, imo.a tech should keep up with their industry, can be very useful. Unless you work for a shop that just rma's everything.

Thanks Ed that was pretty helpful. I do try my best to keep up with the industry but you know yourself IT moves so fast and Ive never had to keep up with graphics cards as we juts deploy the machines as they come from the manufacturer.

I have been doing doing some research and found yes the cards I have are pretty old and not up to the job of some of the newer games. Ya might be able to help me pick out a good card for what I want? My friend showed me Far Cry 3 and Black Ops 2 and the young gamer in me came back out. Can ya recommend me a card that will run these games. Budget is pretty low at the moment. Would it be crazy to say Id get one for in around the 100euro mark? Im running an i5 3570K with 16GB DDR3 RAM.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If your budget is limited to 100 strictly, go with a HD7770 - good for the likes of Far Cry 3 and BF3 at 1080P at mid-high settings.

Advertisement