Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Radio Repair in Clare

Options
  • 19-12-2012 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere I could get a car radio repaired? I am presuming it is an issue with the connection to the aerial as I can still play CDs, I simply cannnot pick up radio stations except when in city centres, and even then it's usually just Radio 1 I can pick up.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't know what it's called now, it used to be called Decibel out the Quinn Road, just before the industrial estate on the right (Across from the Mart) is where everyone used to go to get car kits and radios fitted, my brother in law was there a month or so ago to get work done, car kit taken out of 1 car and into another, top service, no damage done and they did it at the times they said they would.

Have you asked in the Motors forum to see if anyone to give you an idea on how to look at it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I remebered that place alright just after I posted, but I couldn't remember then if they did repairs or just sales. I'll check them out. I would have posted in the Motors forum, except I am absolutely useless at anything like that. Can just about change a tyre, and anytime I have turned my hand to something involving electronics, mayhem has ensued.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Our new mod here might be able to help :)

Usually around the radio there'll be a way to take them out (on Ford's you've 2 little holes to put in a special tool to slide out the radio), it should just slide out, others might have to be pushed out from behind, you go in behind the glove box for those, you'll be able to check the connections yourself, if I remember correctly the aerial connection is a big 1 like a small cigeratte lighter connection. What kind of car have you, might be able to find a youtube video or something showing you how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

Pat Grace in Loughrea is your man for this. Has fixed my radio before, and friends as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Davyhal wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere I could get a car radio repaired? I am presuming it is an issue with the connection to the aerial as I can still play CDs, I simply cannnot pick up radio stations except when in city centres, and even then it's usually just Radio 1 I can pick up.

Thanks,
    Dave

What car is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Is it factory or aftermarket?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭golfball37

You could be on the wrong FM band? Happened to me before when all I could get was 1 station- Lyric FM.

Just had to change from FM stereo to FM ordinary and it was fine.

The aerial for all car stereos is a seperate connection in the back of the unit. It plugs in like an RCA cable. It resembles an RCA cable connection. Sometimes they fall out, especiall if it is an aftermarket radio and the wires have been moved about and there is something else putting pressure on the cable. Aftermarket radios usually slide out easily and you can use a flathead screwdriver to pop it out and push the cable back it as it will be very obvious what is out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Thanks everyone for the tips. It's a 2002 Ford Fiesta with the original Radio/CD player. I think I will try it myself as I have heard that the place down where Decibel used to be is very expensive, even just for the tiniest of jobs. If I have no luck, I'll try that guy in Loughrea, I pass that way about once a month anyways.

You'd probably get a new radio for it cheaper than getting someone to fix it, try a wreckers yard or something. This video seems good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmjcmWlLxek

• Advertisement

Stock radios are not the best anyway. You can get a good one from Aldi or Lidl as they have them every few months for about €49 that come with the trim and harness you need to install them in about five minutes. Better quality, cheaper, and easier to get.

I'd be for keeping a stock radio in there, fiestas have an unusual setup on the radios where you need a whole dash panel changed if fitting an aftermarket radio, or hack up the old one and fill in the gaps. Then you lose your remote audio.

I'd first check the aerial for rust.

I'd only go the lidl/aldi route as a last resort, it'd look cat though and more likely to get nicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

If the model of your radio is 2000,3000,4000 or 6000 then the tuner module is faulty and needs to be replaced.

How much do you charge for that job?

colm mcm , you as a moderator know I cannot answer your question regarding cost as you issued me with a warning on 03-07 12 where you stated I was advertising my business through a reply I gave to a forum member about a problem with a car radio.

I attach your " warning "

Dear iamthemanwork,

You have been warned for posting advertising your company.

This site is about discussion and is not a means for you to advertise your business.

Businesses can engage with our members in a number of ways, please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

colm_mcm

I'm not trying to lead you into anything.
    I appreciate the change you made in the way you respond to such threads and the input you provide.
    I am asking this question as I actually want to know how much that costs.

You can contact me on mobile <snip> , 9.30 to 5.30pm.

Advertisement