Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal cooker hobs flaking after disuse/improper cleaning?

Options
  • 19-12-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭

Just moved into a new house. It had been vacant for maybe 3 months before this. The metal hobs on the cooker are covered in what looks like rust and it is coming off in sizeable flakes. Turning any of the hobs on results in a nasty burning smell. The only thing I can think that caused this is they were cleaned with some sort of substance that shouldn't have been used or maybe even just plain water causing them to rust? I don't want to make it worse so not sure how to proceed? Has anyone come across this before or know what the best course of action is? I can post pictures of it later if it helps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Those plates/hobs are just big lumps of steel, so with enough moisture and neglect they will of course start to rust and flake.

You will have to scrub them down with a wire brush first to get the flakes off and then some steel wool for the fine work.

After that, apply some blackening like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/PLATE-RESTORER-CLEANER-BLACKENER-PADS/sim/B0058VX4QI/2 that's burned into the hot plate to make them shiny and black again.

This blackening should be applied in regular intervals.

Advertisement