Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which cassette's

Options
  • 19-12-2012 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi lads
    Just looking for a bit of advice on this...
    Raced keeper challenge last year and loved it- was doing really well in bike section- not as good as shotgunmcos but i was in a small group of 5 coming probably 5-10th place- going really well until we came to the dreaded / hill (very very steep and goes on forever) stayed with the other 4 lads for a good while but when my gears ran out they all switched into a granny gear and rode on while I fell off the bike and had to push it up the rest of the hill- rookie mistake- think i had a 12-23 cassette on the bike (was told it was a racing cassette anyway).. so anyway looking for advice this year on whether to try get a granny cog for the front of bike or a lighter cassette for the back of the bike... thoughts??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

Do you have a compact or standard double up front? Either way, sticking an 11-28 or even 12-27 on for hilly races should sort you out. It's a lot cheaper and easier to swap cassettes rather than change out the chainrings, plus you can swap back to the 12-23 for flatter races.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Trig1 wrote: »
    Hi lads
    Just looking for a bit of advice on this...
    Raced keeper challenge last year and loved it- was doing really well in bike section- not as good as shotgunmcos but i was in a small group of 5 coming probably 5-10th place- going really well until we came to the dreaded / hill (very very steep and goes on forever) stayed with the other 4 lads for a good while but when my gears ran out they all switched into a granny gear and rode on while I fell off the bike and had to push it up the rest of the hill- rookie mistake- think i had a 12-23 cassette on the bike (was told it was a racing cassette anyway).. so anyway looking for advice this year on whether to try get a granny cog for the front of bike or a lighter cassette for the back of the bike... thoughts??

a 12-25 would be my cassette of choice. I find it will do in almost all situations when combined with a standard 39-53. That being said when it gets really hilly (Think Devils Glen) or I'm really fat I would kill for a 27 but there are not races in Ireland that hilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm assuming you mean 12-25 Dave and not 12-15 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

to be honest, a 25 should be the max needed in this country, there are few walls steep enough that a 27 is needed.
    also going to a 27 may not work on most rear deraileurs due to the arm length

A better option would be to move to a compact on the front a bit more expensive.
    this would give you a 50,34\36 on the front.
    I may have a 25 at home, if you want to borrow it and try it on that nice little drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Thanks for all the advice lads- I'm not sure what I have in the front- think its a standard, there is only 1 major hill on the keeper challenge but it is a b*tch, might try a 12-25 and see will that do the job...might even borrow one of you bennymul if I cannot get a cheap one- it'll be the only race this year that I'll use one (thank god)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Trig,
    Is yours shimano or campy?
    9,10 speed and I will have a look over the weekend

Advertisement