Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering with mental health groups?

Options
  • 18-12-2012 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Im just curious if there is anyway to volunteer with mental health organisations, specifically volunteering with some hands on work/with clients/people. Mainly interested in Depression, Suicide, Schizophrenia, etc but anything will do. I already have a bit of experience/qualifications.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

You could try Aware. They train volunteers for their phone line and the support groups I think. There's also The Samaritans and Grow. Shine also take volunteers for their phone line.

Some of the homeless charities like Focus and Simon might take volunteers too?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭da_shivsta

Aware are always desperate for people over the age of 23 to help out on their phone/online chat service.
    Please help them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Hey

Is this still the case? Im just after coming out of a prolonged bad spell and id love to help. Especially after all my "experience". Im a bit apprehensive about talking to them because of my history.

Any advice welcome. I just want to help where possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Catkins407

krieture wrote: »
    Hey

Is this still the case? Im just after coming out of a prolonged bad spell and id love to help. Especially after all my "experience". Im a bit apprehensive about talking to them because of my history.

Any advice welcome. I just want to help where possible

Well I do know that in some places the HSE recruit people who have had or who do have mental health issues to act as advocates. It's not paid and you would probably have to be in a place of mental stability in order to be most effective but its worth a shot. If you have been there then you have an understanding a lot of others will never have . Go for it. Worst they can say is no thanks in which case you can do other things to help besides frontline work like fundraising and so on .

Advertisement