Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you really smoke indoors?

Options
  • 18-12-2012 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

I have vaped indoors with these twice and had no trouble. But I am guessing, what if I did have trouble and a bar owner or barman told me to stop? Does he hold the right to tell me to stop and that I must stop?

I mean its not like it is written into the law that I can vape these things anywhere I like so if someone tells me to stop I can't exactly say ''get guards if ya want mate I'm gonna vape this all I want. ''

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Even though they dont come under the smoking ban, its still his premises so he can tell you to stop.
    I usually ask first but at the end of the day its down to management.
    Some will aloww in certain areas
    Like the 02, they dont like look alikes but are ok with the others except in the seating area
    Airports are ok with them but cant vouch for individual retailers

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Vaperus wrote: »
    Even though they dont come under the smoking ban, its still his premises so he can tell you to stop.
    I usually ask first but at the end of the day its down to management.
    Some will aloww in certain areas
    Like the 02, they dont like look alikes but are ok with the others except in the seating area
    Airports are ok with them but cant vouch for individual retailers

Has there ever been any cases where people have been told to stop?

I can't think of one meself but would find it difficult having to explain myself all the time if it kept happening that I was being interrupted. I guess that the government need to make people aware that e-cigs are ok indoors. I also find it to be a nuisance that they are not advertised as much as they should be. There does not seem to be a great public awareness about them. If there was more of a public awareness I guess that would create a more e-cig friendly enviroment indoors.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was at a funeral meal with a couple of vapers recently and they vaped away no problem

Ive been asked to stop in one pub.
    But I usually ask first now. Most are fine with it.
    Restaurants are a bit iffy which is understandable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i stopped bothering to ask in pubs lately, no one's said **** to me. was billowing out clouds of the stuff in several pubs in carlow last weekend.

• Advertisement

Yeah the Carlow Pubs are pretty good
    The worse that can happen is they ask you to stop.
    I have seen occasions when I guy smoking a real cig has been asked to leave who has then pointed to me vaping at the bar and he was told thats fine hes vaping

Ive been asked to stop in one pub.
    But I usually ask first now. Most are fine with it.
    Restaurants are a bit iffy which is understandable

Did the owner of the pub give you a reason why he wanted you to stop?

I don't get it, it is actually really easy to tell from the real thing as long as your using lets say a Kanger or something.

I guess the intellicigs and the J&J do look like smokes. I think the pubs should actually be embracing this vaping thing and offering them behind the counter ( like they still offer them killer smokes in vending machines ) in order to encourage those who go outside to kill themselves to save themselves the bother, stay inside and vape in the warmth and give up smoking.

No reason really I did try to explain and he said I would rather you didnt.

Most do embrace it to honest and so do a lot of other premises

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ninjy

I have seen occasions when I guy smoking a real cig has been asked to leave who has then pointed to me vaping at the bar and he was told thats fine hes vaping

I was told to stop in a night club and this is the reason the bouncer gave me. He didn't want other drunken smokers getting mad ideas.

I was also told to stop in a fast food kebab place... the guys behind the counter looked shocked, they thought it was real smoke and were like "Hey hey hey! Stop that don't do that!!!"

I tried to tell them about the e-cig but they were having none of it, so I just put my Liquomatic Vapulizer back into my pocket and waited for my grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

The Owner of Brays most popular pub/nightclub was in our shop the other day. He's in his early 40's, heavily involved in the day to day running of his business and not some old fart luddite. He saw me taking a puff from my kanger-twist and asked what it was. I was amazed I had to tell him. He was shocked when I told him what I was saving a month.

It got me thinking that pubs are really missing a trick here. When the recession hit I had to make a choice between drink and smokes. Now I was never a big drinker so the fag addiction easily won. How many people in the same financial circumstances while not necessarily cutting out one vice entirely, started to go to the offy and preload more, go out twice a month instead of 4 times or not go out at all and drink at home. If pubs actually became proactive in promoting vaping I'd wager a good percentage of the money people save by vaping would be spent in the pubs instead.

Another related story was a Christmas family get together. When the vapers came back inside to the restaurant a smartarse cousin took great pleasure in telling us that he and some fellow workmates had got the use of 'those stupid things' banned in their workplace because they did not want to be poisoned by the nicotine in the vapour. "So your vaping workmates, get to save their lungs, save your lungs, save a fortune.........and they still get to leave their desks and nip outside for a smokebreak every hour or so!!!??? OMG, they are so lucky!!!!" :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I try not to make a big issue out of vaping in doors, if i want a toot, i'll take one, but it's not to say i'd kick up a fuss if i was asked to stop.

I've done it in shopping centres, Dunnes, Tesco, the cinema(stealthing obviously) and a couple of other places. The only place i haven't done it is a restaurant, to be honest, even when i was smoking myself, i hated it when on holidays or what ever and someone was smoking while i was eating, and i'd always go outside for a smoke after food anyway, as not to upset other people eating.

But yes, I think we all agree that pubs/clubs are missing an opportunity here to let people vape inside, look at the UK, all the clubs around london are selling those e-shisha things for £10-£12 a pop, look at the money they are saving from not having to refill their smoke machines! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Calibos wrote: »
    When the recession hit I had to make a choice between drink and smokes. Now I was never a big drinker
    I believe you even if no one else will :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

I vape away whenever I get the urge, I vape in work and the only problem I had was the area manager wondering what in the name of Jaysus I was at. pubs, clubs, cars. like above I don't vape in restaurants. if I so get a craving I stealth vape or else leave and go outside

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I tend to still go outside,it just feels abnormal to me to vape in a pub or restaurant etc.Funny thing is i've often been in town walking about vaping and had the fake cough from a non smoker directed at me,some people :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Got onto an Aer lingus flight there a few weeks ago and asked the stewardess if I could vape, she said she would check.

Got settled in and then fell asleep.

Woke up to a tap on the shoulder, "Oh, Hi, eh, you were asking me about your ecigarette? Yea, I'm sorry, it's against company policy".

So, I, being irritable after being woken up only to be refused my request, snapped back a "WHY?!" and she gives me this 'reason': "because others might see the smoke and will want to smoke as well".

As a smoker/vaper, What's one of the first things you want to do after waking up?

That's right...

<stealthVapingMode>activated</stealthVapingMode>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Lucutus wrote: »
    Got onto an Aer lingus flight there a few weeks ago and asked the stewardess if I could vape, she said she would check.

Got settled in and then fell asleep.

Woke up to a tap on the shoulder, "Oh, Hi, eh, you were asking me about your ecigarette? Yea, I'm sorry, it's against company policy".

So, I, being irritable after being woken up only to be refused my request, snapped back a "WHY?!" and she gives me this 'reason': "because others might see the smoke and will want to smoke as well".

As a smoker/vaper, What's one of the first things you want to do after waking up?

That's right...

<stealthVapingMode>activated</stealthVapingMode>

They won't stop me vaping on flights until they install water vapour detectors in the toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

been meaning to do a video on whether or not a smoke detector will be triggered by vaping. ill do.it over the weekend

been meaning to do a video on whether or not a smoke detector will be triggered by vaping. ill do.it over the weekend

My house one doesn't. I'm of course keen to know whether there are any that vapour does set off.

I have vapped in the jacks on airplanes (and not stealth) and in hotel rooms and nothing happened, when you think of it steam from a kettle doesn't set them off, so no way should vaping with only half the steam/vapour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I vape like turkish steam room everywhere I go :D

I was told different on Aer lingus, I vape quite openly sat in my seat. On long haul I take my old 510's to hand out to fellow travelers if they ask what I am doing:D

KLM have banned them but the toilets are fine to vape in, what happens if you do set off an alarm? They will come in the jacks and not smell smoke so will reset the alarm and apologize:D I know as it happened to me a couple of weeks ago

I vape at work, in the pub, restaurant, air port security and even in a court;), my stealth vaping technique is very good and my elips are perfect for a stealth vape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

They won't stop me vaping on flights until they install water vapour detectors in the toilets.

Oh the great myth .. its not Water Vapour, and fog machines which use virtually the same solution do set off smoke detectors in Bars and Nightclubs when used excessively.

you'll probably be ok so long as you aren't using a high vapor mod though - pretty sure my Genny would set 'em off

krissovo wrote: »
    I vape at work, in the pub, restaurant, air port security and even in a court;), my stealth vaping technique is very good and my elips are perfect for a stealth vape.
    Your stealth vaping wasn't very good in Austia recently though was it :p hard to vape with handcuffs on I'd imagine :D

I smoked ( Edit: I mean vaped ) in hospital toilets yesterday and it never set off the alarm there.

Lets face it smoke alarms are not set up to detect nicotine, just bad smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Lets face it smoke alarms are not set up to detect nicotine, just bad smoke.

Photoelectric sensors used in some places (tied to central alarms mostly) can see that there is Smoke or Vapor blocking its view and can be set off by Ecigs in a tight space/small room etc..
    They will come in the jacks and not smell smoke so will reset the alarm and apologize I know as it happened to me a couple of weeks ago

See :P

was.deevey wrote: »
    Photoelectric sensors used in some places (tied to central alarms mostly) can see that there is Smoke or Vapor blocking its view and can be set off by Ecigs in a tight space/small room etc..

See :P

In that case might be a good idea to vape down your jumper or carry a little hand fan or something haha :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I nearly sh1t myself when I set off the KLM toilets smoke alarm, I had the ebarron set to 4.7 volts and had 3 really decent pulls of Cu Chulainn juice after my in flight meal and spewed out a very satisfying fog of vapor.

The alarm went off and within a minute a steward was banging on the door but by then the vapor was dispersing. A quick squirt of my deodorant and I open the door and smile, the steward was expecting a fight by the look of his face but in seconds his facial expression changed after a quick smell and he apologized for a faulty alarm :D

Yesterday I went to my GP for the first time in 7 months, as I have man flu, she checked my chest and commented how clear it sounded compared to 12 months ago. I told her about giving up fags by vaping. She was amazed, so much so she asked me to vape in her surgery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I vape where I want and whenever I feel like it. It's one of the major benefits over smoking for me. I am discrete indoors, including on flights, and I've never been asked to stop. I would stop if asked but as I'm not causing anybody any discomfort I don't see why I'd need anybody's permission to vape as long as I'm not being a dick about it.

I sit up the back and vape in the cinema. Four films and so far no one's complained or approached me about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ninjy

I sit up the back and vape in the cinema. Four films and so far no one's complained or approached me about it.

I sit in the middle and vape.

• Advertisement

Ninjy wrote: »
    I sit in the middle and vape.

I make clouds! It would be a bit anti-social to impede other people's view with my vapour, which is why I sit at the back. But for a bit of stealth vaping I'd sit in the middle no problem.

Advertisement