Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Babrbiturates still used in Ireland

Options
  • 18-12-2012 10:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

In rare cases? Specifically Phenobarbital.

I have a relative who was on Xanax for a number of years & he's having major withdrawal effects. His doctor wanting him to getting of them switched him to 15mg of Flurazepam & 150mg Lyrica of a daily dose. But he has a huge Alprazolam tolerance & this medication isn't doing much to combat the withdrawals.

I was talking to someone from the States & they suggested he needed to go back to his the doctor and tell him he his still having all these withdrawal symptoms and bring up a Valium or Phenobarbital taper.

Not looking for any advice just want to know if there still prescribed anymore or are they gone completely.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Phenobarbitone is still prescribed very ocasionally. Mostly to older patients who've been on it for years (usually for Epilepsy). I've never seen it initiated for a new patient (and 24 years in the health care business!).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

tdv123 wrote: »
    Not looking for any advice just want to know if there still prescribed anymore or are they gone completely.

Please note this if replying !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Valium detoxes are very common

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Phenobarb is often used in status in ICU as an add on treatment for poorly controlled seizures.

Advertisement