Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change Name by Common Usage Query

Options
  • 18-12-2012 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi - I am a mother of a 3 year old boy.

The relationship with the father was difficult with anger issues on his side (not physically violent though) - counselling before baby was born etc. We stayed together for a couple of months after birth and have been apart since.

When he was born we registered him with his father's surname only.
    His father's name was also on the birth cert.

I would like to change surname on birth cert so it reads both our surnames (ie a double-barrelled surname). I would like him to grow up with this initially as he has 2 distinct families and let him make decision himself down the line. But the Father will not agree.

I Asked him via solicitors letter - took over 7 months to come back with a reply - flat out NO. I have to accept that.

Father has access, pays maintenance and recently got guardianship.

The only option open to me is to change the name now is via common usage.

I have done this for the doctor and chemist and creche etc.

However he has contested the creche and refuses to sign in with double-barrel name and edited the enrolment form to delete my surname without my knowledge.

Where do guardianship rights stop in relation to common usage, ie I understand he has right to be involved in creche choice but what about the name registered?

I know officially in the primary school he has to go by birth cert... and passport and E111 and PPN frown.png

Can ex go in and change the doctors registration etc?

Could he scribble out her name on copy books down the line for instance?

Surely its the same for him in this instance as it is for me re: the birth cert - although we are both guardians he can choose one way even though it might not be what I woudl want?

It's a shame as I am not asking for his name to be removed, just adding mine, and yet I'm still getting a brick wall.

If he stops me using it in the doctors files and pharmacy and creche etc by pushing his guardianship rights surely I have no opportunity to get her name changed via common usage (it needs to be used for 2 years).
    Anyone any experience of bringing someone back to court on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Sorry I can't give you any advice just wanted to say sorry your going through this. I can't understand why he wouldn't let you add your name as you say you don't want to remove his. Are you separated long? Maybe when things calm down a bit he will see sense and let you change it. Until then maybe you could post this on the legal forum of boards you might get more replies or try citizens advice I find them great. Hope you get it sorted :)

Advertisement