Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info about painting RC car shells

Options
  • 18-12-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I have bought a RC drift car for my boyfriend for Christmas. He wanted a toyota corolla twin cam but I couldn't get that one so instead I got the 1978 Pontiac Trans Am shell that is clear, because he has one of these done up so its going to be like his until I get my hands on a twin cam. I also have wheels in the post too that are the same as the ones he has on his own one.

My main question is that I have to paint it before Christmas, and right now it is on its way over from the UK. I am shockingly bad at art but the stickers of the eagle and so on are coming with it.

So basically I will be painting it black and gold and as close to this picture as I can get it. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/221156123138?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2673wt_1163

I would just like a step by step help on the best way to go about painting it. What I will need, what paint ect.

Online, in the same place I bought the shell, they sell little bottles of paint that are 10ml that you paint with a brush but a lot of threads and videos use spray paint. What is the best and where is the best place to get it? Is there anywhere I could order it from in Ireland or collect it in Limerick?

Thanks in advance for any one who helps. As much advice as possible is needed here as I really don't want to mess it up.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

We use a spray of acrylic based paint which is nitro fuel proof.
    The paint gives a matt finish, but we spray the inside of the clear lexan body, with it, so the outside plastic surface is glossy and that provides the gloss finish, and at the same time, protection against scuffs and scrapes.

The windows must be masked off with masking tape, either cut to shape with gentle work by scalpel, or with stickers (pre-cut) that usually come with the body. Then we spray the lot, and remove the taped windows to reveal clear paint free surface.

I think you have missed the postal time window for delivery by Xmas. There is an RC shop in Ennis not too far, but I am not aware if they stock RC car spray paint.

I expect a search on youtube would throw up some video clips showing the process.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Coolwings has most stuff covered there,
    But one thing missing is that these body shells usually need to be cut out as they are vacuformed. With that type of body its best to cut them out and get them to fit BEFORE you paint them.
    So you need to use the model its going on and cut and trim it till its right for that chassis.
    They come like this...
    TA51396-2_zps7404c646.jpg

Advertisement