Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good guitars for 100-150??

Options
  • 18-12-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm just wondering could anyone recommend a guitar to me between 100 to 150 euro?? I know absolutely nothing bout them, it';s an xmas present for my partner. He knows how to play but mainly plays Bass. He was talking about getting an inexpensive one just for messing about with so if anyone could give me an idea of what I should buy I'd be really grateful. Oh and it has to be available to buy in Dublin. Thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

You might struggle slightly at that price range. If you could get to €200 there'd be a big difference in quality and variety.

Regardless, my advice would be to keep the surprise until Christmas and then take him to pick something out for himself. Picking an instrument is a very personal thing and since he plays bass he'll probably already have some of his own ideas.

It would be lovely to receive a guitar from my OH but I've scared her away from it as I'm so picky!

I'm sure he'll appreciate the gesture even if you let him pick.

If you can't stretch any further then you could look at SX guitars for around €120 in Waltons in town. They're decent instruments and are easy to upgrade over time if he's that way inclined. They have lots of colours and styles available so he might find something he likes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

lilypad67 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering could anyone recommend a guitar to me between 100 to 150 euro?? I know absolutely nothing bout them, it';s an xmas present for my partner. He knows how to play but mainly plays Bass. He was talking about getting an inexpensive one just for messing about with so if anyone could give me an idea of what I should buy I'd be really grateful. Oh and it has to be available to buy in Dublin. Thanks :)

I would say that for that kind of budget, he's much better off buying second hand.

Being perfectly honest, seeing that he is already a bass player, he is much better off picking it up himself as guitars in that price range are going to be poor in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Ravelleman wrote: »
    If you can't stretch any further then you could look at SX guitars for around €120 in Waltons in town. They're decent instruments and are easy to upgrade over time if he's that way inclined.

Those SX guitars are surprisingly good for the money. With a bit of a setup and adjustment, they're solid instruments to start out on.
    Make sure to check adverts.ie for second hand instruments too, with a bit of luck you might get a real bargain. Same goes for cash converter shops too, some interesting bits turn up in those shops from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

You could always get him a gift voucher for Waltons as their sale usually starts straight after Christmas
    Last year they were knocking out Gibson Melody Makers for around €220 & Epiphone Les Pauls for less

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

You could always get him a gift voucher for Waltons as their sale usually starts straight after Christmas
    Last year they were knocking out Gibson Melody Makers for around €220 & Epiphone Les Pauls for less
    Post of the week!!:P

• Advertisement

Sorry if this is a bit late, but in case you haven't sorted it out yet, for that budget the bottom end yamaha and fender acoustic guitars are OK. They are complete beginner axes, machine made and all standard basic parts and so on, but for the money i've never come across a bad one. The fenders seem to be more suited to learning and more comfortable play, with nice comfortable necks, and soft enough action, the yamahas can be a little harder to push, and harder on new fingers, but usually give a fuller deeper sound. Either is good depending on your player's preference, but i would say that the yamaha is always a good cheap acoustic to own, to leave lying around for parties and the like. Most guitarists of any standard can play them fairly comfortably and the sound is generally better than the fender low end models.

In Dublin, Goodwins on Capel street are OK for those models. Perfect pitch on Exchequer street are usually ok for beginner guitars too. At that price range there's really very little in it in terms of profit for the dealer eitherway, so they aren't likely to steer you too wrong, as long as you've got some idea what kind of guitar you want. They will make their money on cases, strings, capos, and all the other doodads that get bought with a first guitar. Just don't get sold some strange model you had no interest in originally, because that's probably just the one it's worth their while to sell....

As posted, if you could stretch to €200 you'll probably be able to get something that will last a bit longer. At €100-150, anything you buy will have to be replaced if the person you're buying it for learns & advances at any decent rate. They will outgrow the bottom end models within a year or two and look to trade up.

Advertisement