Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opening .pk file

Options
  • 18-12-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone know how to open a .pk file on a macbook?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Is it audio? Google seems to suggest .pk belongs to Adobe Audition

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

It's telling me my OS doesn't meet minimum requirements

mirekb wrote: »
    It's telling me my OS doesn't meet minimum requirements

I'll move this over to the Mac forum for you where you may get a better answer, is it trying to open in Adobe Audition?

Nick

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I can't download Adobe audition because of system requirements - I don't know if it will open the .pk file, but google told me the same as you!

mirekb wrote: »
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I can't download Adobe audition because of system requirements - I don't know if it will open the .pk file, but google told me the same as you!

Ahh ok that makes more sense, I reckon it is an audition project and needs that to open it, could you get the file sent in another format like mp3? Otherwise you'll probably need to see if you can get an Audition trial version on another machine to open it

Nick

• Advertisement

I think that's the best option - I'm in a hurry to get it! Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The .pk file doesn't contain any audio data though ! It's a bit like an .xml file in that it stores data about the associated audio file and is created by Cool Edit Pro aka Adobe Audition.

Ken

So I definitely need to get them to send it to me in a different format then? Any reason that you can think of for them sending it that way in the first place?

It's not a case of sending it in a different format, they need to send you the actual audio file itself. Are you expecting a single audio file ?

.pk files store information about an editing session in Audition. It wouldn't be of much use on it's own without the samples that make up the song or composition and then only if you wanted to open it in Audition to continue editing the track.

My guess is that someone screwed up and sent the wrong file !

Ken

It's a radio interview with a load of kids that has been edited a bit. So, I either need access to their computer's editing suite, or the original, unedited file?

Can they send me the edit in a different version?

• Advertisement

Sure ! They must have saved the file in some format playable in the on-air studio ?! Typically .mp3 but not always. Not too confident about their editing skills if they send out .pk files rather than the audio file though ! Do they have any kind of i-player on their website perhaps ?

Ken

Unfortunately the bits I want are spread out over 2 hours every day for a week on a program that isn't podcast - so I need the actual file. I'm going with he sent it to me by accident and have asked for the mp3 - haven't received it though..

What size was the .pk file you were sent ? I'd say the actual audio file could be in excess of 50 MB !! Calculate it out at about 1MB per minute of stereo audio @ 128 Kb/s.

May I ask what station made the recordings ?

Ken

Advertisement