Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fellow Pastafarians - Support Our Cause

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Jamez735 wrote: »
    I just think it's funny to worship a flying spaghetti monster.
    I don't think it's funny to worship any imaginary being....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

doctoremma wrote: »
    I don't think it's funny to worship any imaginary being....;)

See here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82262993#post82262993

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It probably doesn't merit one tbh. As a satire religion it falls into the atheist camp.

Could maybe have a sub-forum on the A+A forum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Also, in my personal opinion, the whole Pastafarian thing is fun for people who are already atheists but usually when I've tried to draw comparisons between it and other religions - using it as it was intended, in other words - the person I'm arguing with has usually been too illogical to be able to understand the point I'm making and gets bogged down with the silliness of "Pastfarianism".

It's always a problem whenever you try to bring a point to it's logical conclusion but it gets even harder to make some people follow the point as it gets more farcical as they're unable to separate the farcical element from the point you're making.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Gbear wrote: »
    Could maybe have a sub-forum on the A+A forum?
    Eh, no. :)

OP, this is a doomed request. Though I love the juxtaposition with the request thread currently under it.

Forum_Requests___boardsie.png

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Sorry. Can't support this I'm afraid.
    Any Pasta related stuff can be put in the Funny Side of Religion thread at the top of this forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a two minute concept to argue against the existence of god does not a forum make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'd almost support it just to spite the Christian forum request.

Sarky wrote: »

almost

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Off to sys I go, I could have sworn we had one of those already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'd almost support it so when it gets shot down I could suggest a forum to hold the two minority forums that wouldn't have enough "foot traffic" to justify them individually. I can see it now "The Pastafarian and Catholic Forum". Imagine the fun. And I'm sure our local mods would be keen on upholding the law there too :D

The funny part is, I'm catholic....well sorta...

I consider my self christian, I believe in god & jesus, but I do not believe in the church. I think that you should be able to read the bible for yourself and interpret it in your own way. You don't need a priest to tell you what to believe. Your religion, your spirituality, it's your own choice, your own journey.

As illogical as religion is, as crazy as it sounds, I believe there is some "greater power" out there, we just don't know it.

In a world without religion, there would be no hope, nothing to believe in, no faith. I wouldn't want to live in that world, and I doubt many others would either. Pointless in a sense.

Maybe deep down I realize there may not be a god, but I'd rather believe in one, it gives me hope, it keeps me going.

- My views

So please don't stereotype all catholics, because some of us have a lot more in common with you's than others.

Suit yourself. But you're wrong about there being no hope or nothing to believe in when there's no god. There is, if anything, even more of it.

In a world without religion, there would be no hope, nothing to believe in, no faith. I wouldn't want to live in that world, and I doubt many others would either. Pointless in a sense.

Pointless?
    Pointless to live in a world where people love you? Where there are people you love?
    Where there are beautiful places on this earth to see and experience?
    Great foods and wines to taste?
    Wonderful music to hear.
    Pointless to laugh and enjoy life?
    In my opinion, as an atheist, I can focus much more on what is really important in this Universe, living in the moment and living it to it's fullest.
    None of that is pointless.
    What is pointless, is believing in something which has no proof of existence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I consider my self christian, I believe in god & jesus, but I do not believe in the church. I think that you should be able to read the bible for yourself and interpret it in your own way. You don't need a priest to tell you what to believe. Your religion, your spirituality, it's your own choice, your own journey.
    Sounds like your beliefs are much more in line with one or other of the modern, evangelical versions of christianity than any of the catholic variations.
    As illogical as religion is, as crazy as it sounds, I believe there is some "greater power" out there, we just don't know it
    A thing which is so common amongst humans that I believe it's a feature of the human brain. Doesn't mean it's real though.
    I'd prefer to see the world as it is, rather than the world as a useless, dishonest priesthood wants me to see it, while asking for money, to be excused of systemic homophobia, pedophila, while under the sole control of a former member of the Hitler Youth.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Pointless?
    Pointless to live in a world where people love you? Where there are people you love?
    Where there are beautiful places on this earth to see and experience?
    Great foods and wines to taste?
    Wonderful music to hear.
    Pointless to laugh and enjoy life?
    In my opinion, as an atheist, I can focus much more on what is really important in this Universe, living in the moment and living it to it's fullest.
    None of that is pointless.
    What is pointless, is believing in something which has no proof of existence.

Sure, living in the moment's great, but what about the afterlife.

Imagine nothing, imagine not existing, the world going on, without you, without your thoughts, your sight, your senses. Imagine not being mentally there,....scary isn't it.

I'm not saying we all go to heaven or hell or anything like that, but I hope there's some form of afterlife, at the very least, let it be like living in a lucid dream, that's what I hope for.

Actually that's exactly what I believe, that the dead all live in one big eternal lucid dream, now that would be heaven.

And why do bad things happen to good people? why is there poverty? why is there war? why were my parents taken away from me? where do my dead relatives and friends go- surely their spirital beings go further than six foot under at the local graveyard.

Life is harsh, I need guidance, I need answers, I need hope and faith. Deep down I probably agree with atheists, but I NEED to believe there's something more.

When life is great, when you have health & wealth, there's no need for religion, people tend to ignore it. but when the **** hits the fan, I need to know there's something more out there.

I'm a very logical, skeptical kind of person. I understand that religion makes no sense whatsoever, that there's no proof, that we might as well believe in flying spaghetti monsters. But I need to have faith, faith in anything.

That's why I'm religious, (sorta)

robindch wrote: »
    Sounds like your beliefs are much more in line with one or other of the modern, evangelical versions of christianity than any of the catholic variations.A thing which is so common amongst humans that I believe it's a feature of the human brain. Doesn't mean it's real though.I'd prefer to see the world as it is, rather than the world as a useless, dishonest priesthood wants me to see it, while asking for money, to be excused of systemic homophobia, pedophila, while under the sole control of a former member of the Hitler Youth.

First of all, please don't pick apart my post, and take it out of context.
    Second, did you even read all of it -

I don't believe in the church, priests, or any of that. the only person in charge of your religion is YOU, nobody should tell you what to believe, nobody should control religion. I hate the church, and not because of their history, but because they see themselves as the authority figure of christianity. God is god, you are your own god, priests are not god.

Aren't you being greedy?
    Why not be just grateful that you actually got to exist in the first place?
    Imagine nothing, imagine not existing

Yes. Before I was born, I did not exist.
    When I die, I will return to that state.
    the world going on, without you, without your thoughts, your sight, your senses. Imagine not being mentally there,....scary isn't it.

No, it's not scarey. Why not? Because I'll be dead.
    And why do bad things happen to good people? why is there poverty?

Because sh!t happens. Because the randomness of where you were born can make all the difference to how your life will turn out.
    There is nothing fair or unfair about that. It's just the luck of the draw.
    why is there war?

Because humans are idiots.
    why were my parents taken away from me?

That is just the hard facts of the cycle of life and death.

Ughh, it's true what they say, don't argue with an atheist.
    This will be my last post because I'm becoming annoyed.

First off - When life is good, everyone ignores religion, it doesn't serve a purpose, there is no need. you can just enjoy life and make the most of it.

but when **** happens, and you have nowhere to turn, religion is there for you, your faith can get you through any sh1t life throws at you.

Religion makes the hard facts of life not so hard, it gives me hope, it keeps me going, even if it is a loada crap

• Advertisement

Which one is this, Christianity or Pastafarianism?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Imagine nothing, imagine not existing, the world going on, without you, without your thoughts, your sight, your senses. Imagine not being mentally there,....scary isn't it.

Just because you are scared or dont like the world going on without you doesnt mean God and an afterlife exists to comfort you. Resisting temptation about not being all mentally there and religious statements:D

but when **** happens, and you have nowhere to turn, religion is there for you, your faith can get you through any sh1t life throws at you.

I prefer to rely on doctors, friends and my own determination and sheer stubbornness to get me through the sh!t that life throws at me.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I prefer to rely on doctors, friends and my own determination and sheer stubbornness to get me through the sh!t that life throws at me.

It's true, you are pretty bloody-minded when you want to be... >_>

It's true, you are pretty bloody-minded when you want to be... >_>

You have no idea how true that statement is. :D

Sin City wrote: »
    Just because you are scared or dont like the world going on without you doesnt mean God and an afterlife exists to comfort you. Resisting temptation about not being all mentally there and religious statements:D

Okay have to reply,

It doesn't mean it they don't exist either.

Second, I need that comfort, I need that faith, I need that hope.
    You's obviously don't, and that's fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ughh, it's true what they say, don't argue with an atheist.
    Well there's certainly no point in arguing with an atheist if you only believe something because you want/need to. That'll only end badly.

I'd also point out - you posted here, dude. You can't blame atheists because they responded. :)
    This will be my last post because I'm becoming annoyed.
    Grand so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I hate the church, and not because of their history, but because they see themselves as the authority figure of christianity. God is god, you are your own god, priests are not god.
    Well, that is what catholics are required to believe, and it is what's said in the bible, if you believe that the "church" as it was then is the same institution as what the Vatican is today.

Anyhow, as above, most people have this feeling of there being something "bigger than us" out there, but that's no reason to think that it's true. This aspect of psychology has been researched, with some interesting results too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement