Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 - Just installed - A few questions....

Options
  • 18-12-2012 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

I've just installed the Windows 8 x64 upgrade on top of Vista x64 Ultimate.

1. There is no Start icon at the bottom left hand corner of the screen. So, I've no idea how to turn off the computer. Where can I find it? (There are only two icons there. IE and something called Files Explorer)

2. There is no Show Desktop icon. How can I create one?

3. Am I right in thinking that I will have to reinstall programs? Only my graphics card is listed in programs.

4. On the bottom right of the screen I can drag a list of items headed Desktop. For some reason, Control Panel is listed twice. Any idea why? I presume I can delete one of them?

5. In C: there is a folder called Windows Old. It contains the programs that were installed in Vista. Can I delete it?

Basically, I want to be able to access the Desktop, turn off the computer and have my C: drive as clean as possible.

Thanks as always.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I've only messed around with Windows 8 in PC world for 5mins but I would suggest keyboard shortcuts.

1) Press the windows key (two buttons to the left of the spacebar to open toggle between the apps page and the main window.

2) Windows Button & D should work for this as a workaround - not sure how you'd create one to be honest

5) You can delete this but this contains information and files from your previous install of windows - this could be used to resolve issue no. 3 for you - you could be able to pull your programs over but not sure and unable to test for myself at the moment.

Hopefully that'll help you a little bit until somebody with more understanding of the OS can come along and help you out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

1. To turn off your pc using a mouse go to bottom left corner to bring up charms menu. The select Settings->Power, and shut down ( I think that's the right sequence, I'm not in front of my W8 machine), or using a keyboard, click on the desktop background and press Alt + F4. this can also be used to close programs.

4. There should have been an option to keep your programs, but if they're not compatible with Windows 8 windows wil remove them. Try ninite.com for reinstalling a lot of programs at the same time.

You can always try a program to bring back the start button, have a google for "Start 8", there are some free ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

for turning off, I created a new button and pinned it to the start screen, although as already said you can just use charms or right click your profile pic top left of the screen.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2012/06/25/how-to-add-a-shut-down-button-to-windows-8/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks guys.

Removing the Start button seems stupid to me.

Am in the process of deleting Windows Old now.

D.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Yoyo,

Apologies for putting the thread in the wrong forum.

One thing that's wrecking my head is this.......

Bottom right of the Taskbar is Desktop. If I drag it to the left a bunch of icons appear; Libraries, Me, Computer, Network and Recycle. They're fine.

What isn't fine is that there are also two(!) Control Panel icons.

I've no idea how this happened. They've been there since the installation.

How can I remove one of them? If I right click and choose Delete to the one on the left, nothing happens. If I Delete the one on the right, it reappears after a Reboot.

How can I get rid of the extra one permanently?

Thanks.

D.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

www.pokki.com - give this a go, brings back the start menu and makes it even better!

Advertisement