Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV repair advice needed

Options
  • 18-12-2012 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi, hope someone here can give me some advice on a problem with my TV - (bear in mind that I haven't a clue about electronics!)
    It's a Prestigio P200DVD-X (20" LCD), and lately whenever I turn it on, the picture appears for a second, then the screen goes completely black. Same happens when I insert a DVD (it's got a built-in DVD player). Sound still works perfectly, but the picture disappears. If I turn it on and off loads of times it sometimes eventually works, but mostly I have to give up.

A Google search turned up a question from someone with a similar problem (theirs was a Prestigio P320DVD-X, which looks pretty much identical to mine), and they got this reply:
    "I just repaired two of these TVs with exactly the same problem. The problem is malfunctioning switching regulator 2576-3.3DD. On the PCB it is marked as Q803. You can also change capacitors C805 (470uF/16V) and C812 (220uF/16V) because the heat of the bad 2576-3.3DD shortened the life of these caps".

Now I haven't a clue what any of that means but it sounds like the same problem I'm having, so I guess I need to replace the switching regulator and/or the capacitors (whatever the hell they are!). Question is, would this be expensive to get done? I can't afford a new TV so hoping it's a fairly easy fix!

Also, any recommendations on where to get it repaired? I'm in Dublin (south city area). Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Not familiar with that specific set but in most cases the audio amplifier would be powered from the main PSU (Power Supply). Given that you still have sound after the picture goes I would guess that part of the PSU is still functioning meaning the switching Regulator is most likely OK.

My guess would be a dried out capacitor on one of the power supply outputs that feeds the video circuitry or a faulty inverter for the backlight (assuming it's a cold cathode fluorescent)

A proper fix would be to replace all of the caps in the PSU or replace the inverter - whichever is diagnosed as the problem. At a TV repair shop the cost would be between 50 and 100 euro depending on which is at fault. That of course depends on whether a replacement inverter can be sourced - if not, a repair would be attempted. At that stage I'm not sure, it would depend on the shop.

Did I see an LG 22" advertised somewhere on TV for 189 in one of the bigger stores ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

Thanks for the reply Zener, I haven't a clue how TVs work!
    So looks like it's a bit of a gamble - if it was about €50 I'd definitely try to get it fixed, but if it's closer to €100 I'd be as well off getting a new one.

My other issue is that it's really handy for me having the built in DVD player, as I'm tight on space and I keep my TV on a shelf where there's no room for a separate DVD player. I see they have 19" Alba TV/DVD combis in Argos for €129 - that might be my best bet, though presumably they're not great quality.
    Might see if any decent combis are reduced after Christmas.

Advertisement