Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question on full HD

Options
  • 18-12-2012 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at tv's today and saw hd ready 1081.
    I thought 1081 was full HD.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

There is 1080i and 1080p, I is interactive and P is progressive, the P is full HD afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

vicwatson wrote: »
    There is 1080i and 1080p, I is interactive and P is progressive, the P is full HD afaik.

I'm still confused. I saw a 1080p in Tesco today saying he ready.
    Is 1080 I or p he ready or full hd?
    Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The shops don't use the terminology correctly. Check the spec's of the TV's yourself based on the model numbers. The descriptions in the shop are often wrong, and the sale assistants often don't know much abut the technology themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

P is progressive scan and I is interlaced. This has nothing to do with the HD 'readiness' of the set. From what I understand of the very confusing standard, a HD Ready set is capable of displaying a 1080 i/p picture via an external source - BluRay or some other HD source but only has a SD (standard definition, 720x576) capable tuner. That said the TV may actually down-scale the 1080 resolution to fit into a 1376x768 panel.A full HD set can do this too but also has a HD tuner built in capable of receiving off air HD transmissions, e.g. RTE2 HD etc. It also has a full 1920x1080 panel.

Prepared to be corrected on this but that's my understanding of the standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

ZENER wrote: »
    Prepared to be corrected on this but that's my understanding of the standards.
    I wouldn't dare to correct you but my own understanding is that there isn't an actual 'standard' or, if there was, it might have changed over the years. "HD Ready" used to mean (or more correctly imply) a TV would go to 720p only. Which is obviously far short of 1080. "Full HD" should mean 1080. These terms pre-date HD broadcasts by a good few years so I'd doubt if they took such broadcasts into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

fullHD is only employed by marketing departments. its got nothing to do with TV standards.

HD ready means 720p+. so that 1080p screen is still HD ready. some people like to add a sticker saying fullHD, but it makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    HD ready means 720p+. so that 1080p screen is still HD ready.

Please explain what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Goose81

I was looking at tv's today and saw hd ready 1081.
    I thought 1081 was full HD.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    thanks

There is two types

HD ready describes the minimum standards the television must meet to display high definition content which is 720p or 1080i which are pretty much the same for the layman.

Full hd is 1080p and the only real content you will get that is 1080p is blu ray. Sky hd/bbc/rte hd is all broadcast in 1080i (720p).

They could stick the hd ready sticker on a 720p(1080i) set or the 1080p set but it makes more sense to stick the full hd sticker on the 1080p set.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Please explain what that means.
    HD ready = 720p and/or 1080p
    Full HD = 1080p

1080i ~=720p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    HD ready = 720p and/or 1080p
    Full HD = 1080p

1080i ~=720p
    huh?
    So 1080p can be either he ready or full hd.
    Muddy waters just got muddier.

• Advertisement

huh?
    So 1080p can be either he ready or full hd.
    Muddy waters just got muddier.
    its not that complicated. as I said earlier, "fullHD" isn't an official TV standard, its just a marketing ploy.

instead of relying on stickers on the side of the TV, look up the specs of the model on the manufacturers website. you should do that for all electronics anyway.

As Tea Bag says it's not really a standard but it's generally accepted that HD Ready means a TV with a 720p capable display. These sets can usually accept a 1080i signal but will downscale to fit the native resolution of the LCD panel - usually 1376x768. Nowadays though TVs posess a 1920x1080 LCD panel so are capable of displaying a full HD picture.

It's generally accepted that a FullHD TV will have a HD tuner be it FreeView or Saorview capable.

1080i is not equal to 720p by the way. The horizontal resolution is much higher.

Ken

1080i is not equal to 720p by the way. The horizontal resolution is much higher.

Ken

yea but because its interlaced its commonly accepted that 720p>1080i in terms of quality. 1080i only refreshes 540 lines at a time, vs 720 lines on a 720p screen.

for the price difference these days, its worth paying the small extra and getting 1080p in anything 32"+.

1080i is divided in to two 540 line fields but the full frame is displayed after 2 fields (2 times vertical scan rate) resulting in the full 1080 lines. It's the human eyes perception that results in the full frame being visible. The same as the interlaced scanning for old style CRT TVs. The relatively slow refresh of LCD panels makes them seem seamless. Either way 1080i has a higher Horizontal resolution than 720p so making 720p better that 1080i just doesn't make sense.

The whole system needs to be standardised in fairness but anyone buying a new TV should look for 1920x1080 native resolution of the LCD panel with a HD capable tuner.

Ken

I don't know why I'm debating this tonight but why not..

Most of the time interlacing works fine, but for fast moving images, such as sports like baseball and hockey it can cause problems which manifest themselves as a ’stepping’ effect on-screen. Progressive scan signals don’t have this problem and so are better suited to sports.

ESPN puts it like this: ’Progressive scan technology produces better images for the fast moving orientation of sports television. Simply put, with 104 mph fastballs in baseball and 120 mph shots on goal in hockey, the line-by-line basis of progressive scan technology better captures the inherent fast action of sports. For ESPN, progressive scan technology makes perfect sense.’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

My understanding is that HD ready is a marketing term meaning that a TV is capable of taking a HD signal and displaying it. HD ready does not identify what the output is, the TV could be taking a 1080p input but only showing it as 720p or 1080i. For true or full HD you need a 1080p display.

Until it has an ISO standard it will be difficult to debate, but for now Movies will be filmed at 24 framed per second and broadcast TV at either 50 or 60 fields per second. If a program is recorded at an interlaced format then i is the best way of displaying it. Converting from any format to another is going to introduce losses or deficiencies.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Until it has an ISO standard it will be difficult to debate, but for now Movies will be filmed at 24 framed per second and broadcast TV at either 50 or 60 fields per second. If a program is recorded at an interlaced format then i is the best way of displaying it. Converting from any format to another is going to introduce losses or deficiencies.

Ken

It's always annoyed me that they didn't just bite the bullet and change the standard from i to p when flat panels started becoming the norm, I'm not a fan of legacy support!

Advertisement