Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is favourite out of the four Blackadder Series?

Options
  • 17-12-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Mine is Blackadder the third

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Sorry, I should have said your favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Last series. 'Blackadder Goes Forth'
    Especially the final episode
    But the first series was sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

The Last scene in Blackadder goes Forth was really moving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Easily Blackadder Goes Forth, it got exponentially better as the series went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

first

brian blessed does it for me (even if rowan atkinson does the face gurning a bit too much)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Second series for me, then the fourth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

coolhull wrote: »
    Last series. 'Blackadder Goes Forth'
    Especially the final episode
    But the first series was sh1te

the first is very very different alright, but i was stuck at my parents several years ago and on xmas day was given season1 of blackadder on dvd. it was all I had while i was there so I watched it several times, it grows on you. It has a charm all of its own.

favourite is probably goes forth though. has all the comedy plus you have to wonder just how historically accurate its depiction of british military higherups was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

none of them - Never liked it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

The 2nd, brilliant, Queen Elizabeth and her court crack me up. 3rd great too, the first was brutal though, could never watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

So hard to pick one but gun to head The Third but mainly cause I watched it last night and its fresh in my head

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Definitely Blackadder Goes Forth. Lots of great quotes and funny scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Black Adder Goes Forth for me too...Brilliant

"We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun."

"For us, the Great War is finito, a war which would be a damn sight simpler if we just stayed in England and shot fifty thousand of our men a week."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭steve_r

Good questions OP.

When I think of Blackadder, I always think of the third series so I guess that's my number one.

I think there are some great episodes in the second series but I'm not a huge fan of how they used Laurie in that series, thought it got old quick. Same with Series 4 to a certain extent, though I think Tim McInnerny is amazing in that series. The last episode is the high point of the series, but tbh I think that last episode makes people rate Series 4 higher than it should be.

I've never given Series 1 the same time I gave the others but maybe I'll go back and have look based on Digby's post below. Think they all are on UPC on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Has to be Queenie and her court,nursie and Melchie and the rest trying nervously to keep her amused.Miranda Richardson,Patsy Byrne(Irish?)and Stephan Fry must have had a ball.

Tim Mcinnerny discovering green in the second series,I think.

The last series with Stepen Fry and Darling and the sadness of the inevitability of the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

s8n wrote: »
    none of them - Never liked it

Not a comedy fan eh? In my case my preferences would be the reverse of their series numbers 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I can't choose between 3 and 4, so both.

Love george in season three. "Yes, your highness your highness"

Hugh Laurie is just amazing in season 3, absolutely perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Not a big fan - but the fourth (World War I) did the trick for me. I know it helps to know the backstory (Blackadder descends class ranks, Baldrick hasn't changed his underpants since the 13th century, Hugh Laurie playing dimwit is fun for anyone who's seen House) but the season stands alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

the first is very very different alright, but i was stuck at my parents several years ago and on xmas day was given season1 of blackadder on dvd. it was all I had while i was there so I watched it several times, it grows on you. It has a charm all of its own.

The weird thing is there was an unaired pilot made for the first series and it plays pretty much closer to how series 2-4 were done. The visual style looks more like 2-4 and Blackadder himself even looks and acts more like the guy we know (rather than that that weird sniveling character with the pudding-bowl haircut and the Richard III style posture we got in Series 1).

However it's as tho someone in BBC watched the pilot and said "no that won't work" and had it redone in the way Series 1 eventually turned out.

Unaired pilot....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,571 ✭✭✭✭briany

I can't decide between the 3rd and 4th series. I suppose if I had to pick, I would also say the fourth but it's really to close to call. The only reason I would say 4 over 3 is that 4 makes has that poignant commentary on the futility and madness of WWI but you're not always in the mood for that. Sometimes the manic sillyness of 3 is the tonic that's called for as well. Comes down to mood at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

For me it has to be Season 2, I just really enjoyed the story lines and the character development was superb.

I also really enjoyed Season 4 and I think it has the best Blackadder quotes and sketches in it eg. " I heard that it started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry".

Like many I never really liked the 1st season. The 3rd was superb though.

Best guest appearance has to be Rik Mayall doing Flash in series 2, for such a character to have such an impact with so few lines was just amazing...

God I loved this show, still hoping for it to comeback!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Third, had the best plots and secondary characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I would go for 4 mainly because of the General Melchet character. Absolutely insane yet completely believable.
    The court marshall scene where he was the judge and Darling was counsel for the prosecution was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

For me it has to be:
    -Blackadder the Third,
    -Blackadder the Second
    - very closely followed by Blackadder the Forth...

- I don't acknowledge Blackadder the First ever happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

2nd
    4th
    3rd
    1st

• Site Banned Posts: 107 ✭✭big_joe_joyce

in order

2 = only marginally behind 3
    4= still very good but not up to the same standard ( great ending however )
    1 = like a completley different show , peter cook was good but blackadder himself was just a gormless mouse of a charechter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The Third..............if that's the Elizabethan one??? Absolute genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Stephen Fry as the mad patriotic general has to be the best background character.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

For me it goes 2nd , 4th very closely followed by 3rd and then who cares about the 1st

Stephen fry slapping around the prince as wellington is one of my all time favorite episodes but nothing holds a torch to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Flashheart was awesome!

4th best
    3rd second best
    2nd only just behind

Series one which is so different in tone and texture its nearly best considered a stand alone experiment.

Blackadder is a rare example of everyones mojo coming together to ever greater effect and then quitting at the apex. Pity it happens so infrequently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I would find it difficult to chose between 2,3 and 4. Each of them is brilliant in their own way. You will struggle to find better comedy on Television.

Blackadder's Christmas Carol is also excellent. A lot of people forget about it as it doesn't fit neatly into any of the series. It is always worth a watch over Christmas.

Edit: It's on BBC2 on Christmas Day at 8pm

Advertisement