Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging a gate on cavity block wall

Options
  • 17-12-2012 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for advice on how to hang a wooden gate on a cavity block wall. Would 6 of the fixings (two hinges with three fixings each) in the attached picture be enough? Gate weighs approx 30 kgs. Each fixing has a max weight of 50 kgs apparently. Any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭chris445

No. These fixings are for plasterboard only. My advice for hanging a gate would be to hang it off a baton on the wall or to fit a frame. Either way, fix the frame/baton to the wall using express nails and then screw the hinges to the timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Chris 445 is correct. These are internal plaster board fixings.
    Get some Treated 3 x 2 or 4 x 2 Timber. Hilti or screw and fix it to the Wall and your gate will be there for a long time.
    You could also use Galvanized box section and get the Hinges welded to the Steel, then fix your gates to the Hinges. It really depends on how much space between the Piers you have to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Don't know the full in's and out's of your situation but when I hang gates around the yard I try to use long bolts whereever I can, if the gate gets any abuse it'll only start sagging and need to be re-hung - maybe its not an option to use bolts but consider it anyhow.

Best Regards

Advertisement