Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish sraith pictiurí

Options
  • 17-12-2012 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Right, well I'm struggling a fair bit with the Sraith pictiurí. I try to learn them off, like learn my notes I have for that whole picture off fully. I must say sometimes it does work, as in just say I attempt to learn a picture or two on a weekend for a test on Monday, I would know it off by heart on the Saturday. But the problem is that once I get into doing the oral and I'm sitting down about to give the picture my best, I go blank. I literally can only remember less than half of what I learned.. It feels like crap cause it takes me ages to learn the pictures and then I go into the test looking like I did nothing to prepare. I try my best to learn them off as I'm not sure how I'd fare with making the sentences up on the spot...

Just wondering, would ye think that learning the pictures OBH is better than making them up on the spot? What's your best way of learning sraith pictiurí?
    I had an oral today and it went fairly horribly, went completely blank. Next time I think i'll try to learn them a different way, but not sure how.. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

The thing is is that the oral is completely different to the written exam. I'd like to think that at the start of the year my written Irish was at an A/B standard but as for for me oral I was pretty shocking. I would never get the tenses right, would say 'sé' for a girl etc.

However we were encouraged this year to talk Irish as much as possible to each other and it has helped loads. We have a class during lunch were we solely talk Irish to each other and it has really helped for the oral. Even when studying you should test yourself by saying it out loud rather than writing about the sraith pictúir. Hope it helps! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I got really tired of trying to rote-learn them last year so I just gave up. :pac: What I did instead was read over them, deciding what I'd explain in each picture - e.g. are you going to give the absolute basic details like "theres 2 boys and a girl", or will you be more elaborate e.g. "They're thinking about going to do...". Then I'd highlight any useful phrases I might have put in e.g. "Tá an t-ádh le X" or "An rud is annamh is iontach". You can't really go wrong that way, it means you can ALWAYS tell the basics of whats happening in the pictures without having to have a list of things in your head that might be hard to remember if you rote-learn, and when you're stuck at all just throw in some nice phrases!

I was pretty lucky I did that in the end considering I started to focus on the latter 10 out of paranoia, and ended up with #5, which I hadn't practiced a whole lot. Made a few stupid mistakes and that, and forgot to say a few things, but knowing how to say a variety of things and deciding on the spot is much better (and flows more naturally) than trying to remember what you planned to say and in what order.

On a related point, people find that hard to do because they don't know where their urus and h's go. If you see one and you're not sure why it's there, find out so you can improvise more accurately! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Go raibh míle maith agaibh!

Anymore I'll just learn common phrases that I could use in each picture, as you said 'Tá an t-adh ...' or similar ones to that. I'll learn the basic vocabulary that'll be needed for each picture but that's it... Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

I just learn key words for each set, and a few TG phrases that work, aswell as the general phrases that work for everything. That way I can make it up, but i know that I have the vocabulary I need to do so. Throw in a seanfhocal too, be grand :D

Another thing: If you're clever about it, you can pick your three questions about each set of pictures so that the questions are applicable to most of the sets. Things like, 'what are they wearing' or 'what can be seen in the background of this picture' and such. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lyndsey95

does anybody have any good links to making the sraith pictures a bit easier to remember like the sentences etc? also any numbers or websites for grinds for irish and maths maybe?? thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LfE

Since Friday night we've made our entire Irish Oral course free to this year's Leaving Certs (follow link below)

https://www.learningforexams.com/irish-oral/

All of the sraith pictiúr are covered and you have access to all of the printable notes also. Free to register, free to use. We want to help you succeed in this exam. You can be learning in one minute if you check it out now.

Please pass on the message to friends/classmates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

For the 3 questions you're supposed to ask the examiner; how exactly does it work?

Do you talk about a picture and just say, 'how do you think paul is feeling here' to the examiner?

Or do you do the whole thing and then ask some questions.

And when they answer, what do you say? Go maith? Or sea or what??

Our teacher never told us ANYTHING about these!! And when I asked her she just said ''oh yeah you just have to ask them question'' .. oh so very helpful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

LoveLamps wrote: »
    For the 3 questions you're supposed to ask the examiner; how exactly does it work?

Do you talk about a picture and just say, 'how do you think paul is feeling here' to the examiner?

Or do you do the whole thing and then ask some questions.

And when they answer, what do you say? Go maith? Or sea or what??

Our teacher never told us ANYTHING about these!! And when I asked her she just said ''oh yeah you just have to ask them question'' .. oh so very helpful :(

You talk about all six pictures first, then at the end you ask them three questions, and they ask you three. When they answer yours I'm sure you're meant to respond, just with something simple, like 'b'fhéidir'? It explains it well in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPJJgkGMqss

Advertisement