Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrivals at the DWB in Ringaskiddy

Options
  • 17-12-2012 4:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭

According to the Port of Cork website the Dora Schulte will arrive on Wednesday, 12/19, and the Anna Schulte will arrive on Thursday, 12/20. The Anna being this weeks "banana boat". Just wondering if they will be there at the same time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Normally turnaround for the Bigger "banana boats" is 12 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Lad's do you mind me asking what the reference to "banana boat" is to?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

youknowwho wrote: »
    Lad's do you mind me asking what the reference to "banana boat" is to?

Weekly boat bringing bananas into the country I do believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

Normally turnaround for the Bigger "banana boats" is 12 hours.
    "Bigger"? I thought they were basically of the same capacity.

I found the schedule for the service, just can't figure out how to post it here. Anybody know how to?

• Advertisement

Weekly boat bringing bananas into the country I do believe.

Not just bananas of course. All fruit products coming from central america.
    In the late 70s and 80s they were general cargo type geared Reefers, with masts and derricks, normally painted white, and cargo was not unitized.
    Common to find bunches of loose bananas strewn around the quayside after they had unloaded.

These days they are a modified container ship, with each container having its own reefer unit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Not just bananas of course. All fruit products coming from central america.
    In the late 70s and 80s they were general cargo type geared Reefers, with masts and derricks, normally painted white, and cargo was not unitized.
    Common to find bunches of loose bananas strewn around the quayside after they had unloaded.

These days they are a modified container ship, with each container having its own reefer unit.
    God be with those days if the stuff fell on the deck it was ours (crew) if it fell on the quay side the dockers got it.You would be surprised what would fall on the deck (he,he).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

mp22 wrote: »
    God be with those days if the stuff fell on the deck it was ours (crew) if it fell on the quay side the dockers got it.You would be surprised what would fall on the deck (he,he).

It was surprising how cases full of bottles of whiskey could survive a drop of 100 feet or more, but they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    I found the schedule for the service, just can't figure out how to post it here. Anybody know how to?

PM it to me and I'll see if I can hack something together.

tricky D wrote: »
    PM it to me and I'll see if I can hack something together.
    Thanks, I wish I could PM it to you. I have it in "My Pictures" and can't get it out to you. (I don't know how I got it in there.) It is probably much quicker for you to go to Maersk-Schedules-Trade Lane-Central America & Caribbean Express (CRX) because by the time I figure it out the schedule will have changed...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

mp22 wrote: »
    Thanks but that is not it. I am trying to put a copy of the Maersk schedule, Central American & Caribbean Express (CRX), on here for all who are interested in it.

Anna Schulte did not make her call-"no room at the inn". Are the boxes unloaded at Tilbury ? If so, do they come back in one move or several moves? A shortage of bananas for Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Thanks for the info

If I read the Port of Cork website correctly, the arrivals schedule shows no "banana boat" this week.

Happens sometimes if weather conditions in the atlantic are poor.

If I read the Port of Cork website correctly, the arrivals schedule shows no "banana boat" this week.
    Next "banana boat" due 23 March according to Maersk schedule.

Next "banana boat" due 23 March according to Maersk schedule.

Port of Cork says the same, Esther Schulte @1930

Port of Cork says the same, Esther Schulte @1930
    I checked their website earlier in the day and there was no listing of the call, perhaps it was updated later on.

24March Esther Schulte
    29March Thekla Schulte
    5April Marianne Schulte
    12April Nedlloyd Adriana
    19April Ocean Promise
    26April Anna Schulte
    3May Esther Schulte
    10May Thekla Schulte
    17May Marianne Schulte
    24May Nedlloyd Adriana
    31May Ocean Promise
    7June Anna Schulte
    14June Esther Schulte
    21June Thekla Schulte
    28June Marianne Schulte
    5July Nedlloyd Adriana
    12July Ocean Promise
    Maersk does not show any calls after 12July at this time. It will be updated in the future.

Anybody notice the Vogerunner at anchor outside the port? Port of Cork website does not show any information on the ship ...as of a few minutes ago. Now eastbound off the south coast of Wexford, still with Cork as its destination.

• Advertisement

Lots of ships and other vessels seem to have headed to cork to Shelter from the horrific winds currently blowing off the SW coast.

Todays "banana boat", the Maersk Niagara, I believe has not been in the rotation in the past.

Advertisement