Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One thing

Options
  • 17-12-2012 3:58pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Crüe,
    If you had to buy one piece of hardware for mastering what would it be?

What I like is: big bottom a la Manley, API; air in the mix like Prism et al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johnnylakes

A tuned room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Ya, acoustic treatment. I already have that... so I want better speakers. Duntech or PMC if I had cash to burn, Klein & Hummell/ Neumann, or even RCF Mytho 8. Stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

At this stage it would be a Manley MP and the Maselec MTC1. I can do without the MTC1 for awhile but the for me all I need is the MP to complete desk,(I already have a PassEQ and BFE/FiltekMK3) I look very closely at the transformers and what you are trying to achieve mostly lundahl and Haufe for me, clean and transparent(Manley is slightly dark).but if you have not the monitoring sorted out it would be key.

I know I have been harking on about B&W for awhile now but check them out. I'am still blown away. 800 series is the master standard. clean and clinical.

You can get in touch with http://cloneyaudio.com/ they usually have some on demo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Love the sound of the MP - test drove one at AES... mmmmm

I've always been a big fan of B&W - even their bookshelf speakers make pretty awesome nearfields

It's between the MP and the Maselec Mea2. I'll demo the mea2 first before deciding but either or is a solid foundation for clinical EQ. I like the idea of the SPL PQ with total recall but I wonder if you boost on the PQ in the low end will it sound as brittle as boosting on PassEQ. dropping 10 odd grand on an EQ is a little far away

I bit the bullet recently and bought the matrix 802 s3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

I've got the non-mastering version of the Manley Massive Passive and it is a dream equaliser which is permanently on the stereo bus.

splitrmx wrote: »
    I've got the non-mastering version of the Manley Massive Passive and it is a dream equaliser which is permanently on the stereo bus.

That is hardly the one from audiowarehouse during the summer. I was beaten to purchase by a couple of days.

Interesting about the 802's - what are you using to power them?

Just a Crown amp @525watts @4ohm nothing too serious. It's not exactly a Bryston, but it's clean.

Plenty of grunt though :)

• Advertisement

It's like having a guitar stack each side 600watts each. Takes very little to get their cones moving. Very seldom have them crazy pushed, you just need enough to have the body in the mix apparent. Even a 300 watt amp would do the trick with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

peter05 wrote: »
    That is hardly the one from audiowarehouse during the summer. I was beaten to purchase by a couple of days.
    Haha no, I got mine from Thommann.

So I decided against the MP and the MEA2. Going to build the Barry Porter NetEQ. If anybody else wants to attempt it I can pass along details. Problem shooting is pretty solid from the guys at groupdiy. Alot of them have built with success the Gerbers are freely available for 70€ for the 2.The pots are the big cost and time invested.

Gerbers https://pcbgrinder.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52

BpNetEQ https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qn1xdkq22205oq/Barry%20Porter%20EQ.zip

You will have to make your own PSU Gerber

Edit: Nearly forgot the switches steps are for 12 steps rotary. I am going for 24 steps in freq and Q control. Again if someone wants details for 24 steps let me know. It should be labeled "Net H PDF" for switches

Advertisement