Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland not at the 1936 Olympics?

Options
  • 17-12-2012 3:43pm
    Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭

Why did Ireland not compete at the Nazi Olympics? It was hardly for political reasons as most other countries attended. Anyone know the reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

SubBusted wrote: »
    Why did Ireland not compete at the Nazi Olympics? It was hardly for political reasons as most other countries attended. Anyone know the reason?

wiki:

Northern Ireland
    The governing bodies in Ireland of many sports had been established prior to the 1922 partition, and most have remained as single all-island bodies since then. Recognition of the Irish border was politically contentious and unpopular with Irish nationalists. The National Cycling and Athletic Association (Ireland), or NACA(I), was formed in 1922 by the merger of rival all-island associations, and affiliated to both the International Amateur Athletics Federation (IAAF) and Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI).[4] However, some Northern Ireland athletics clubs soon left and in 1930 formed the Northern Ireland AAA, which later formed the British Athletic Federation (BAF) with the English and Scottish AAAs.[4] The BAF then replaced the (English) AAA as Britain's member of the IAAF, and moved that all members should be delimited by political boundaries.[4] This was not agreed in time for the 1932 Summer Olympics —at which two NACA(I) athletes won gold medals for Ireland— but was agreed at the IAAF's 1934 congress.[4] The NACA(I) refused to comply and was suspended in 1935, thus missing the 1936 Berlin Olympics.[4] The OCI decided to boycott the Games completely in protest.[4][8]

Advertisement