Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nephew dealing with his Granddad's death

Options
  • 17-12-2012 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just looking to get some advice. My dad passed away just over 4 years ago. My oldest nephew was about 4 at the time and very close to him. We (myself & my mam) became aware that my dad's death hadn't been explained too well to him by his parents as he kept wondering when granddad was coming back so they had to have another word with him.

The thing is, I'm still not sure how well he's coped with losing my dad. He'll often sit in my mam's & stare at a picture of my dad for long periods of time which I do think is a little off for an 8 year old. And he says a lot that he misses him. I want to do something to help but not really sure what to say or how to broach it with either him or his parents. I don't think they're to blame in any way but not sure if they have seen his level of grief that's still there.

Any help gratefully received.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Mention it to them in a casual and non blaming manner and leave it up to them.

Advertisement