Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Naval Ship scale model

Options
  • 17-12-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have been interested in doing some scale models of the Irish naval fleet but have had no luck finding a plastic kit. I have done some research on them to try and find a plastic kit that was a similar vessel that I could chop up but can’t even find a similar vessel.

I may have to do a scratch build and I was wondering has any one done any of the Irish fleet before??? where could i get the plans to scale down??

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I thought many of the Irish Navy vessels were purchased from the UK.
    My idea for what it's worth: Would there not be models available in the appropriate British Navy ships names of the same, or sister vessels of the same class from the likes of eg Deans Marine?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

coolwings wrote: »
    I thought many of the Irish Navy vessels were purchased from the UK.
    My idea for what it's worth: Would there not be models available in the appropriate British Navy ships names of the same, or sister vessels of the same class from the likes of eg Deans Marine?

i did look into finding the vessels under their old names. but alot of the current fleet was comissioned for the irish navy, and any of the forign bough ships, well there was no model of them :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Atlantic models make one:

http://www.timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=31241.0

this isn't any kind of personal recommendation, I've never bought from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 milanomosher

Sirmar in the UK used to do a 1/48 Peacock hull and fittings. I think Jecobin do plans, but maybe at a smaller scale. APS models in Australia do a 1/72 Roisin hull and fittings, and plans I believe. If you´re interested in an older vessel such as Cliona or Macha you could probably bash the Matchbox 1/72 Flower class corvette kit, and plenty of other manufacturers do different scale Flower hulls and fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

I think revel do a flower class kit, don't ask me about scale or anything though, just remembers seeing it in marks models in cork.

• Advertisement

Ooops, sorry meant to say Revell, not Matchbox, although I think it may be a reissue of the older Matchbox kit. Scale is 1/72. I picked mine up in a model shop in Capel Street years ago, although they seem to be fairly easy to source online. With a lot of work and scratchbuilding they build up to a nice model, although I´m not sure of the work involved in converting it to an Irish vessel. The good thing about building a Flower class ship is the wealth of aftermarket parts available out there, and online build logs.

My latest project is a scratchbuild of Roisin in 1/72, and to be honest I think I bit off more than I can chew :-) There´s not a lot of aftermarket parts that can be used for Roisin, so essentially everything will have to be scratchbuilt (although APS models do some fittings, I wanted to do this build on the cheap). I couldn´t get my hands on a set of hull lines so I had to draw these up myself, they´re not entirely accurate but I think the overall shape is there.

IMG_1623.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well done thats a great piece of time consuming work, she looks great, I am currently doing the Revell 1.72 corvette and am doing it as the LE Macha not that easy but hope it works out ok, I will post pics when finished.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The Revell Flower class is the Matchbox reboxed, as are the 1:76 tanks from Revell. The Revell release reappeared as a platinum edition with photo etch, metal gun barrels etc as recently as last November:

http://www.revell.de/index.php?id=210&KGKANR=0&KGKOGP=10&KGSCHL=4&L=1&page=1&sort=0&nc=&searchactive=&q=&SWO=&ARMAS4=&PHPSESSID=f8c72e82692c0699d96b3ffaeff4a942&KZSLPG=&offset=3&cmd=show&ARARTN=05112&sp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Thats the one I got the platinium edition

• Registered Users Posts: 78,337 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My latest project is a scratchbuild of Roisin in 1/72, and to be honest I think I bit off more than I can chew :-) There´s not a lot of aftermarket parts that can be used for Roisin, so essentially everything will have to be scratchbuilt (although APS models do some fittings, I wanted to do this build on the cheap). I couldn´t get my hands on a set of hull lines so I had to draw these up myself, they´re not entirely accurate but I think the overall shape is there.
    The Naval Service have a Niamh, at or about 1:72, possibly a shipbuilder's presentation model, so it is possible that the correct details are out there.

no harm in talking to the NS or DF press office.

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Well done thats a great piece of time consuming work, she looks great, I am currently doing the Revell 1.72 corvette and am doing it as the LE Macha not that easy but hope it works out ok, I will post pics when finished.

Thanks Storm 10, yep do post some pictures of your Macha, it´d be nice to see an unusual Flower class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Any more pictures to share of LE Roisin?

Advertisement