Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad against PC

Options
  • 17-12-2012 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi folks , my wife and son plays minecraft on the same computer ( one at a time , and the arguing has to stop ) so I want to buy the iPad version ( there goes my iPad ) . Question is , can they both play in the same ..... world / planet / area at the same time ? I see you can play ths on an Xbox , can you play it on the WII as well , and would you need to buy another username and password to use it on this device ?

Thanks for the help
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The tablet version is nowhere near what the PC version is.
    Its very limited,coming from the PC its a painful experience to be honest.
    You cannot join a PCor laptop game on your tablet or xbox either.
    Im pretty sure its not on the wii.
    My son used to play on his PC but has since moved reluctantly to the xbox version, reluctantly because it too is like a very early PC version.
    Having said that its miles ahead of whats on the tablets plus he plays it with friends and sometimes my daughter joins in via splitscreen or on the other xbox in the house.

To sum up each format is not cross compatible with the others.

Your choices are

PC/Laptop both are the same format and you can play away together.

XBOX you can only play with other xbox users.

Tablet - being honest is very poor version, i have it on my nexus 7 and its only ever used if we are travelling ,needless to say the PC and xbox versions are used infinitely more in my house.
    Im not even sure the tablet version or Minecraft Pocket version as its known even has multiplayer.

Your best bet so they can play together is either get a laptop so they can play together on PC/Laptop or get the xbox version.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mincork

Hi again , thanks a mill for the info , looks like my only option will be to upgrade the home pc . ( I assume I will have to purchase another PC username and password )

Cheers
    M

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Mincork wrote: »
    Hi again , thanks a mill for the info , looks like my only option will be to upgrade the home pc . ( I assume I will have to purchase another PC username and password )

Cheers
    M

On PC and Laptop you cant play splitscreen im afraid, as far as i know that feature is only on xbox [it effectively means you only need one version of the game and up to 4 players can join on the same xbox.

You will need either 2 PC`s or 2 Laptop`s or one of each if you want to go down the computer route.

For example,when my son played on PC he had his own account for PC and i had my own account or my PC.

You could get a laptop that can play MC very reasonable as system requirements for it are very low.
    Then whom ever wishes can open their game up to lan and the the other can join or viceversa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Dcully wrote: »
    Im not even sure the tablet version or Minecraft Pocket version as its known even has multiplayer.
    There is a phone/tablet to phone/tablet multi-player option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Mincork wrote: »
    I assume I will have to purchase another PC username and password

Not if you're just playing on a the home LAN.

Log one machine in to minecraft and start a single player game. Bring up the options and choose "Open to Lan".
    On the second computer do NOT log in to minecraft, instead don't enter a password, try to log in and choose play offline. Then select multiplayer and you should see the other LAN game. You can now connect to this, although your user name defaults to Player.

If you wish to connect more computers than this to the LAN game you need to start minecraft with specific command line paramaters to change the default Player name. The minecraft server will not allow 2 players with the same name to connect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mincork

Cheers for the above , managed to use the laptop and pc !

Advertisement