Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Duathlon - Drafting rule?

Options
  • 17-12-2012 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi,

I signed up for my first and second Duathlons. One in two weeks and the other in Naas in January. I'm just wondering how strict the 'no drafting on the bike' rule is.

I come from a cycling background so i'm quite used to drafting. If somebody passes you out, do you really have to slow down to let them get 2-3 bike lengths ahead? If there are a lot of participants, would this not lead to a start stop type of cycle?

I'm not a member of any tri club, but I hope to join my local one next year. Is the rule the same for triathlon? I was sure I saw some of the pros on TV drafting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

The pro ITU races are draft-legal, mainly I believe for TV purposes and the difficulty policing if it was nondrafting. Age-group and long distance races are almost always nondrafting.

Don't draft- it's cheating. And it's not difficult to avoid. Generally you don't have to slow down more than a fraction to let people complete their pass (if they're doing it right you won't have to slow down at all). How strictly it's policed varies a lot from race to race.

You'll see plenty of drafting- don't join in, just train to run the suckers down!

Advertisement