Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window(s) unfocus on their own.

Options
  • 17-12-2012 1:46am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Experiencing similar problem to this person http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/windows-frequently-unfocus-on-their-own.118951/

Unfortunately they never post a solution!
    I'm having a problem with my windows randomly unfocusing. It's extremely annoying while typing because every few seconds I have to re-click on the window to continue typing. It's like an application is stealing the windows focus but no new window pops up and no window has focus. The problem seems to come and go. For about an hour it won't do it then the next it will happen every few seconds.

Had a look through running processes, nothing out of the ordinary that I can see.

Ran anti-virus (MBAM & Windows essentials) and nothing found.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

It's unbelievably annoying! :(

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Think I may have found the solution.

I believe it could have been the goog1e virus.

I'll report back if the problem persists.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Problem solved. :)

Scratch that. It's back again. :mad:

Any help appreciated. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,915 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I don't know of any specific solution as I've never seen that type of problem, but the panacea for most solutions (especially ones that sound like they would be extremely annoying) is to refresh windows. If it's Windows 8 you can first try the Refresh your PC option, if that fails or you're running another windows version I would back up your data and reinstall.

Overheal wrote: »
    I don't know of any specific solution as I've never seen that type of problem, but the panacea for most solutions (especially ones that sound like they would be extremely annoying) is to refresh windows. If it's Windows 8 you can first try the Refresh your PC option, if that fails or you're running another windows version I would back up your data and reinstall.

Running Windows 7.

Really don't want to have to do a fresh install as I'd dread having to reinstall all my software again (not to mention my steam library).

I'll see if I can hold out for a solution

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

How about a system restore to a point where the problem wasn't occurring?

Corkfeen wrote: »
    How about a system restore to a point where the problem wasn't occurring?

Good idea.

I followed these steps http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/stealingfocus02.htm

and it appears to be working (*fingers crossed*).

If not I'll give a restore a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,915 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Your steam library is painless to backup: one, you shouldn't be running it on C:\ anyway, but you just move it off the partition, and either move it back when you reformat it or park it somewhere like D:\ then you just go into the steam folder and run steam.exe, the executable figures out that it lives in a new directory in a few moments, and you don't have to redownload a thing. Also true of most games, like WoW, etc.

Found the problem.

It was this fella http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9093025/Trail/searchtext%3ETP+LINK.htm

Whenever the software that came with it was running, it'd steal the focus.

Removed it and problem solved.

Advertisement