Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

multimedia/gaming laptop

Options
  • 16-12-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

hello I am in the market to buy a multimedia or gaming laptop that is less than 1000 euro. I was looking at the lenovo ideapad y580 but since it is only available in Ireland at a ridiculous price (unlike the us). I am stuck so any recommendations are welcome :), oh and another question is it better to buy a laptop now or after christmas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Decent enough GPU , s...te screen resolution

http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90475019/lenovo-ideapad-y580-m7729ge.asp

German keyboard on that ^

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thisguy145

great laptop apart from the sreen resolution. makes me wonder why 15+ inch laptops have that below par screen res. Would there be any others with a half decent gpu?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I have the Lenovo Y580 with the i5 and 1080p screen instead of the i7 and 768p screen. Mine was 200 euro cheaper from Komplett which have now discontinued my model. I've had it now for about 2 months and absolutely love it. I bought it for college work and heavy gaming and it does the job perfectly.

It is able to play Skyrim, Starcraft 2, Sniper Elite V2, Dishonored, Borderlands 2 all on Very Hight/Ultra and Far Cry 3 on High. Battery life is good too without playing games, I get about 4-5 hours with internet browsing/youtube/video streaming.

was loving the idea of the lenovo y580 but since the screen wasn't up to scratch I gave up and couldn't find anything else except from the U.S :( I have been reading about heating issues with the y580. Has yours any heating issues while playing games? also is pc world, laptops direct and komplett the only websites to buy laptops in Ireland or am I missing something?

• Advertisement

thanks for the recommendation :) but would rather stay away from the german keyboard even though the price looks good... I was thinking around the idea of the lenovo y500, http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/15_16_inch/80008357/lenovo_15_6_y500_mbg2bmh_i7_3630qm_8g_1tb%2b16ssd/details.aspx or the asus n56, http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/15_16_inch/20177682/asus_15_6_n56vz_s4215h_i7_3630qm_6gb_750gb/details.aspx both seem pretty decent although not as good as the y580. :( Am I just dreaming or can i not get a decent gaming multimedia laptop for a grand?

No worries

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=n0017s32&model_id=inspiron-17r-se-7720&c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1

Additional 12% off all Clearance Laptops and Desktops
    Valid from 13th Dec - 19th Dec 2012
    Voucher Code:DD?Q083L42183W

GT650M ^

Strangely enough the dell has been recommended off other forum members also it is cheap enough. Is it enough though to play games like skyrim, fallout 3 and fps games like black ops 2? Also do you know how hot the laptop gets under a heavy load? sorry for all the questions but I'm not a fan of throwing my money away :rolleyes:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

Every gaming lappy will get hot at some stage

It gets hot when you play games because you are running the hardware at a higher level of performance.

More work means more heat and laptops dont have good heat disposal.

Electronics always heat up when they do more work and you cant really do anything about it unless you get a better heat sink or fan.

Its a lot better on desktops cause you can get really nice cooling systems, but for laptops it is hard to avoid the heat.

just make sure your fans are not clogged and that they arent blocked either

thanks a mill for the link :) hmmm seems like the gt650 might be a bit weak. very hard choice.... If you had to choose a laptop for playing the likes of skyrim and fallout 3 and fps games, on med to high settings (preferable high) budget max of €1200. What would you choose?

• Advertisement

ye great laptop but the price is a tad bit too much. Love to be in the U.S, just to avail of how cheap the laptops are. Ah well noting can be done. I was thinking about buying a laptop after christmas due to the sales or would the sales not effect laptops?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

thisguy145 wrote: »
    was loving the idea of the lenovo y580 but since the screen wasn't up to scratch I gave up and couldn't find anything else except from the U.S :( I have been reading about heating issues with the y580. Has yours any heating issues while playing games? also is pc world, laptops direct and komplett the only websites to buy laptops in Ireland or am I missing something?

The laptop does get hot but not overly so in that it reboots due to the temperature. I played Far Cry 3 on Ultra for a few straight hours last night and it was grand throughout the session.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 UBx James

Hi im new on boards i need to know of any gaming laptop in ireland that can run games like mincraft (with mods), Skyrim, World of Warcraft, Ark, and other games with next to no frame drop. Plz respond quickly thx so much!

Advertisement