Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim O Neill

Options
  • 16-12-2012 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

I like Jim, I really do, he's a solid presenter, but Today FM how's about giving his slot to someone who actually lives in Ireland ? Its an utterly ludicrous situation that sees this guy voice track from south africa when there are plenty of jocks out there trying to ply a trade in a recession. Also the very idea that the show is voice tracked is crazy considering it robs the show of any spontaneity and robs the listeners of the ability to interact.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I don't care where the presenter lives, and I don't care that people can't text in live. It is still a great show. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

heybaby wrote: »
    I like Jim, I really do, he's a solid presenter, but Today FM how's about giving his slot to someone who actually lives in Ireland ? Its an utterly ludicrous situation that sees this guy voice track from south africa when there are plenty of jocks out there trying to ply a trade in a recession. Also the very idea that the show is voice tracked is crazy considering it robs the show of any spontaneity and robs the listeners of the ability to interact.

Because 99.9% of listeners don't care where he lives perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Cookie Policy

I personally think, where possible, all shows should be live to allow for listener interaction etc. I mean everyone enjoys when something goes wrong, and to be honest there isn't much room for error when something is voice-tracked, linked up, faders A&B up and in automation.

It doesn't bother me much in this situation i'm not full-time listener anyway, but in 98FM's situation I really don't like the Ryan Seacrest, and if they do keep him on the schedule, someone tell him to get a proper microphone with a pop filter. His voice tracks sound utterly awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

The style of program Jim produces doesn't require it to be live so VT isn't a problem. personly i find "interaction" with listeners to be a PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I think its interesting that there seems to be support for Jim's style of show / presenting because he's very much a generic that was / this is kind of Jock. The only differences I can see between Jim and other bland dj's is his voice is much more mature sounding and the music on the show. As a presenter he's just a homogeneous as lots of other format jocks regularly criticised, he brings very little insight, personal experience or personality to the show, I just don't understand his appeal. When I mention listener interaction I'm talking about reading text dedications there's none of this in the show. I think the show is an indulgence that would be better served if they gave it to a Jock who would benefit from the opportunity and exposure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I'm a fan of Jim O Neil but I am getting tired of the VT and the same playlist every Sunday. It's really not the show it was 5 years ago. John Clarke on the other hand seems to be getting better with age. His playlist goes further into the oldies And not just playing the same old top ten hits of the 60s 70s and 80s. Today FM take note

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    The style of program Jim produces doesn't require it to be live so VT isn't a problem. personly i find "interaction" with listeners to be a PITA.
    IMO it's only a PITA when a presenter reads out every inane rubbish that's texted/tweeted in. Some presenters, OTOH, have moulded it in very well into the show, and the shows would be poorer for their absence.

In particular, Sean Moncrieff and John Creedon make great use of listeners' texts, IMO.

Advertisement