Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible annulment/clarification.

Options
  • 16-12-2012 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys,
    First post so just like to start off by saying hello.I know this has been discussed before but I was hoping you might be able to answer my question as it applies to me in particular.my situation is this.I have been married 10 months and in the last 4 months or so it has become apparent that it will not work out.i would obviously like to sort things out as quickly as possible.From what I have read already it seems civil annulments are quite difficult to receive nowadays.initially my wife said she too was willing to undergo any annulment process and would cooperate but now she says she wants to take the divorce route and be compensated etc.i have owned and lived in my house for 5 years now and she has lived here for approximately 8 months,never having paid anything towards the mortgage or bills.it doesn't sit right with me that she may now be entitled to half the house,or half the debt/ mortgage as the case may be.my basic question is,what would be my grounds for annulment.in this case,would it not make sense for a court to grant an annulment or would I need to be more imaginative with my reasons.what would be the grounds for my request?as I understand it,it would need to be medical grounds or sexual orientation. I know I need to seek legal advice from a solicitor but it seems unlikely I will make any progress before the new year and was just hoping I could touch base initially here on boards.thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I'm not giving you any legal advice, and I do suggest that you see your solicitor as soon as you can. The only reason why I will pass comment on annulment is that I looked into it for myself when officially splitting up. Unfortunately you are right in saying that it is extremely difficult to get, and very rare, not to mention very expensive. If you're looking to cut down the costs of this split, I personally feel you don't have grounds for annulment, given what you've said here. You don't want to go through all of that expense when you may not even get your annulment at the end.

I know it seems very unfair, but your situation isn't too different to my own was. We were only married a short period of time after a lengthy but troubled relationship, and I just felt soon after that nothing could fix the problems we had. We didn't own property together, so I have it better off in that sense, I just want out with no compensation whatsoever.

What I advise to you at this stage is, if you want to try keep the cost of this split down you and your wife should go to mediation. If you can get the particulars sorted out in mediation you could go for a much cheaper 'separation agreement' rather than a costly judicial separation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

+1 for what Abi has written esp her last sentence. All u need in a nutshell. Cannot see any grounds for annulment from what you have written sorry :( .
    One small point courts and hence separation agreements do take into account how long you were married so a ten month old marraige would mean far less claim on each other than a ten year one .

Advertisement