Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CID entitlements

Options
  • 16-12-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys really hope someone can help me out.

I am currently in my 5th year and received a part-time CID. The hours are for a subject which no other teacher in the school is qualified to teach. TY students take a course related to my subject taught by a perm staff member not qualified in the subject.

My question is who is more entitled to the TY hours me the qualified CID teacher or the unqualified perm staff member. It is my understanding they could teach the subjects they are qualified for on full time hours anyway.

I have contacted the union no reply yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Have you spoken with your principal? Its the first place you should ask, as opposed to running to the union and posting it on an online forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ceoltoirin83

Thanks Enright, I did speak to the principal first. He didn't know the answer.

The union is for advice btw not just to take action on things. Sometimes it can be good to talk to them so not to hassle the principal with things that won't go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Did you receive a CID based on your hours? It comes across that you got a CID and now want more.... Remember he MUST give PWT staff hours first and a TY course name can be changed easily. You would have concern if a sub or less experienced teacher was getting hours you should be getting.

Yes thedriver that is the case.

I was fulltime for three years then in year 4 went to 14. I am now CID 14

The Ty hours were never mine but an increase in hours due to numbers in Ty appeared this year so the new hours weren't this teachers either. Therefore I would have thought as the qualified teacher of the subject I shud have received them and other hours in the subject area of the PWT which were also available shud have gone to the PWT not prpt teachers.

Hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

true but its at the discretion of the principal, PWT trumps CID unfortunately. Where you may have a case if there is a domino effect where this PWT should have been given hours in their area but these were given to a sub/less experienced teacher.

• Advertisement

Thanks,
    That's what I am hoping for. Its an awkward situation.

I don't want to rock the staffroom boat without a solid case but I also need to pay my bills like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

TheDriver wrote: »
    true but its at the discretion of the principal, PWT trumps CID unfortunately. Where you may have a case if there is a domino effect where this PWT should have been given hours in their area but these were given to a sub/less experienced teacher.

The other side of that is if the PWT teacher is for example a maths teacher and maths is blocked for each year group so it's not possible to fill the timetable with maths as they can't take two classes at the same time, so another subject has to be used to fill their timetable.

Of course as the OP has said they were on full hours for the first three years and is now on 14 hours, that alone would make me suspicious.

Thanks rainbowtrout,

I am suspicious too. There were resource hours in the school too and HR told the Principal not to give them out until November 1st. All seems very much like cost cutting at the expense of 4th year and CID staff. The hours eventually went out contracted as fixed term with rolling lay offs.

Union said there's nothing can be done about the resource situation as allocations went to schools with subject needs but fell below pupil teacher ratios.

Same happened in my year 4 coupled with a redeployment into resource so I lost hours taking me below 18 hours.

Advertisement