Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying psychology in Australia

Options
  • 15-12-2012 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone!
    I am currently trying to get my BA in psychology in NUIG. I am hoping to eventually obtain a PhD. My issue is that I hope to move to Australia after my BA and continue doing post grad work there. There are a few problems with this.

1) Does anyone who has studied psychology in two different countries tell me how getting the right accreditation works? I'll be leaving Ireland with a BA that is accredited by the Irish Psychological Association, but in order to start doing post grad work in Australia one of the requirements is a four year BA accredited by the Australian Association.

2) The uni I am looking at is the uni in Adelaide, but it is incredibly expensive. Something like $21,000 a year. Has anyone here ever studied in Australia and if so would you be able to tell me if I could apply for a student loan and start paying off so much once I start working? That seems to be the way for most places.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭teddyboy

Hey everyone!
    I am currently trying to get my BA in psychology in NUIG. I am hoping to eventually obtain a PhD. My issue is that I hope to move to Australia after my BA and continue doing post grad work there. There are a few problems with this.

1) Does anyone who has studied psychology in two different countries tell me how getting the right accreditation works? I'll be leaving Ireland with a BA that is accredited by the Irish Psychological Association, but in order to start doing post grad work in Australia one of the requirements is a four year BA accredited by the Australian Association.

2) The uni I am looking at is the uni in Adelaide, but it is incredibly expensive. Something like $21,000 a year. Has anyone here ever studied in Australia and if so would you be able to tell me if I could apply for a student loan and start paying off so much once I start working? That seems to be the way for most places.

Cheers!

Stay put until you are fully qualified before going to oz. You can do a master in Ireland for 7000 compared to oz where it is 21000 for the same degree. Then apply for a funded phd or psy.d

You'll make good money in oz when you are fully qualified. That's why the training cost is so high over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭puddles and umbrellas

teddyboy wrote: »
    Stay put until you are fully qualified before going to oz. You can do a master in Ireland for 7000 compared to oz where it is 21000 for the same degree. Then apply for a funded phd or psy.d

You'll make good money in oz when you are fully qualified. That's why the training cost is so high over there.

Agree with this advice - stay where you are. Get your full education here, a few extra years won't matter in the grand scheme of things. Then set your sights on Aus as you will plenty to offer to the workforce. No point putting yourself in serious debt in another country, when you'll get pretty much the same standard of education here for a cheaper price tag ;)

Advertisement