Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will partner affect BTEA?

Options
  • 15-12-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

So I'm currently in 1st year in NUIG living in student accommodation. When I applied for the BTEA I was living at home with my mother who is retired and on very low income.

My partner is hoping to be able to move up to Galway soon with a new job and obviously we would like to live together. However, if we did so, would this have any effect on my BTEA? I'm completely relying on it to get through college and can't afford to lose it.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

*bump

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

It will be means tested and you could lose it completely if over the threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

fall wrote: »
    It will be means tested and you could lose it completely if over the threshold.

I'm not sure this is the case.

Have you a link or something where this is stated?

My understanding is that it is only means tested if there is a qualified adult involved and only the qualified adult would be means tested

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html
    This weekly allowance is not means-tested and you can work part-time without affecting your BTEA payment.
    Qualified adult
    Even though your BTEA is not means-tested, any increase for a qualified adult may be means-tested if your spouse or partner has earnings or income in their own right.

If you are coming to the BTEA from Jobseeker's Allowance or Disability Allowance and if your qualified adult is earning you qualify for the full Increase for a Qualified Adult if your qualified adult has earnings of under €100, a tapered rate if they earn between €100 and €310 and no increase if they earn more than €310. This is similar to the way an Increase for a Qualified Adult for Jobseeker’s Benefit is calculated. The disregards that normally apply to earnings in the means test for Jobseeker’s Allowance do not apply. However a 'saver' clause operates to prevent a participant being made worse off by this arrangement.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

This happened to a family member last year. Moved in with partner. Means tested for summer job seekers allowance payment based on partners wage. Refused payment and not allowed back on back to ed in September. Ring back to ed head office in Leitrim. They should be able to clarify.

Advertisement